Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Lower Sleeve badge - any ideas?

paulloseby

My Wife's grandad was in the RFA in WW1.  I've been trying to colour one of the photos we have of him and I noticed a star on his lower right sleeve.  He has a L/Cpl stripe so it wouldn't be a WO badge or similar.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be please?

I've attached the colourised photo and then part of the original in case it helps

Dick1b.jpg

dickhorse2 copy.jpg

Crossed guns and crown?  1st class battery prize is the only one that comes to mind at the moment. What’s his name?

J

It may be a driving [horsed] prize badge, crossed whips and spur, but either way it is on the wrong sleeve.

Only other candidates would be the star for distance judging [but not competed for by RA] or the star for TF efficiency.

3 hours ago, paulloseby said:

My Wife's grandad was in the RFA in WW1.  I've been trying to colour one of the photos we have of him and I noticed a star on his lower right sleeve.  He has a L/Cpl stripe so it wouldn't be a WO badge or similar.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be please?

I've attached the colourised photo and then part of the original in case it helps

I agree with my learned friends that the badge is a TF efficiency star.

In all branches of WW1 Royal Artillery a single stripe represented either, the substantive rank of Bombardier, or the non-substantive appointment of Acting Bombardier.