Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ideas needed please

Lady Linda

I know we have a very talented load of people on here. Flattery over with!

I need ideas in connection with what was iconic at Christmas or you can connect with Christmas.

I can only think of 2 things, Christmas football truce and Queen Mary giving out cigarette tins, but need more please, pretty please.

Thank you , I am counting on you!

The use of the C word in July. would get a ban on some forums.

Ha Ha

• Admin

Plum pudding was ubiquitous 

https://www.amdigital.co.uk/about/blog/item/plum-pudding-in-a-shell-hole-christmas-baking-in-world-war-i

as was pantomime both at home and concert parties in the Army.  Have a look at some of the war diaries to get a flavour, especially welcome we’re gifts from home which were often as basic as chocolate and cigarettes.

Ken

yikes.... and I was hoping for another three months respite before beginning the worst part of the year... 

but OK ... planning ahead I guess... One thing that was quite common in the hospitals was a lot of improvised decorations and singing and music to cheer up the patients. That's a constant that I'm finding in all the nurses/VAD/Fany's diaries. in general I think during christmas on the front the men were happy with the small things: a song, a little gift, some flowers in a ward, just making them feel at home.

It's what I'd like too... just a quiet day at home and not all that "having to" eat and "having to" make a list and having to listen to shouting kids and pretending to have fun... 

M.

Hi Lady Linda,

2 hours ago, Lady Linda said:

football truce

From what I recall reading on the forum, there is still some debate whether some men from opposing forces did actually have some kind of kickabout in no man's land.

2 hours ago, Lady Linda said:

Queen Mary giving out cigarette tins

As they say 'other alternatives are (were) available' - see here. It seems to suggest that the average Tommy might have had a choice (presumably subject to availability) if they preferred the non tobacco option.

Regards

Chris

The Royal Naval Air Service in Flanders had a Christmas card designed each year, which the

men could send home. They were designed by artist Rene Bull, and I believe by fighter ace

Roderic Stanley Dallas.

Regards

Geoff

Hi Linda

I thought the same thing as Chris when I saw the phrase 'football truce'. There is some evidence on the German side of a game at Frelinghein; three sources mention it, this is possibly the one that had a score of 3-2 to the Germans. There are more sources mentioning a kick about near Wulverghem, near Messines; these are all from the British side. There were probably more games played between the British troops near to the front line, but every mention of football is assumed to be between the opposing sides. I think the evidence is reasonable but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it being true.

What has happened since WW1 is that so many myths have grown up around the football matches that it has become accepted fact by repetition, and the football authorities have used the legends to further their own grubby agendas. The execrable memorial put up by UEFA at Prowse Point even bears the signature of a Monsieur M. Platini who I think may be helping the French authorities with their enquiries. It was certainly endorsed by a Swiss gentlemen Herr J. Blatter who may still be a person of interest in various jurisdictions. I'd amend the original phrase to read 'the Christmas truce hijacked by the football authorities'. When I was looking into it I found the letters back from the front which were published in newspapers and held privately very affecting and illuminating at the same time. The appalling conditions in the front lines also make an good angle.

I've just seen Geoff's suggestion and it is a really good one; some of the Christmas card produced later in the war are works of art and the early ones from 1914 would be particularly interesting, to me at least. Likewise Marilyne's suggestion; I'm sure I've seen pictures of wards decorated for the festive season.

Pete.

P.S. It's another kind offer to take some more photos from the front, have a lovely time.

Queen Alexandra's Christmas Feast - 1914.

It gave rise to one of the rarest medals of the Great War, being presented to the 1300 children who attended and a few Chelsea Pensioners who acted as stewards. All of the children present had a father serving overseas with the army or with the fleet.

I have always found this a fascinating story (granted, largely because medals were involved), and one that few know anything about.

Mike

Queen Alexandra's Christmas Feast Medal.jpg

3 hours ago, Lady Linda said:

at Christmas

3 hours ago, Lady Linda said:

with Christmas.

48 minutes ago, sdparker said:

a Christmas card

21 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

the Christmas truce

22 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Christmas card produced

7 minutes ago, Medaler said:

Christmas Feast - 1914.

Your all sailing  close to the wind

Please respect the forum rules 

Thanks for all the interesting suggestions, that has given me ideas to work on.  Some very interesting, I particularly like the Christmas feast. 

Hello Lady Linda

One small correction: it was Princess Mary, the Queen's daughter and later the Countess of Harewood, who was responsible for the tins.

It has long been the Army's habit that on Christmas Day the officers waited on the men at table. You may find some references to this in war diaries. As far as possible - and not just during the 1914 truces - I believe that the men were mainly restricted to light duties on 25 December.

And, for the benefit of some posters, the ban on the use of "the C-word" only applies to Skindles.

Ron

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

And, for the benefit of some posters, the ban on the use of "the C-word" only applies to Skindles.

Ron

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know what else to call it. I feel better now.

Mike

4 hours ago, Lady Linda said:

Thanks for all the interesting suggestions, that has given me ideas to work on.  Some very interesting, I particularly like the Christmas feast. 

Held at the Guildhall in London on 28th December 1914. I have always wondered.........

How many of the kids were fatherless by 28th December 1918.

How many (being me!) of the medals have survived.

What was on the menu.

It's one of those curious aspects of the war where the word "forgotten" could be used with some justification. The medals in particular are rarely seen and are (IMHO) remarkably under-valued. I have one sat in my collection if you need more pictures.

Regards,

Mike

After the war, foodstuffs among other things were sold off, sometimes at drill halls. I can tell you that there was a Demobilisation Sale by order of the Navy and Army Canteen Board at the Drill Hall, Bolton on September 7th, 1920. This included 5 CWT of Christmas Puddings. Someone must have been planning to cook and serve them. (There's a great long list of things but I don't know how many of them were intended for Christmas dining.)

7 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

... And, for the benefit of some posters, the ban on the use of "the C-word" only applies to Skindles.

For those who don't know, Skindles is the off-topic section of the GWF where almost anything except politics and the Great War can be discussed. it's open to old lags after they've made a certain number of posts. I am one of those who howls if anyone there uses "the C-word" (as in C for Christmas) outside December but, as Ron says, it's quite acceptable in the main Forum.

I have several anecdotes about Christmas leave and celebrations on Salisbury Plain and a dozen or so cards showing decorated huts, dinners and so on. And there's this:

Canada's 4th Infantry Brigade was happily spending Christmas Day 1914 on the Plain when, its war diary recounts, it received a "secret order ... to make ready to proceed to Bumble Green via Effing (sic) on receipt of telegraphic word". The next day the Brigadier conferred with his COs "regarding arrangements to carry out the secret communication received yesterday". "Effing" would appear to be a mis-spelling of Epping, near which Bumble Green is situated, or it might just describe the diarist's reaction to having Christmas Day spoiled. But the 4th remained on Salisbury Plain, eventually going to France with the rest of the Contingent in February. One suspects a prank, perhaps someone enjoying Christmas Day just a bit too much deciding to spoil the 4th Brigade's Christmas.  "Bumble Green" itself suggests a joke. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd brigades seem to have enjoyed a peaceful Christmas, because their diaries record no such mysterious message.

Moonraker

There are a fair number of Naval images of senior and junior crew members with the crew's Christmas pudding. 

Thank you all once again, ideas needed because applications for event are September 1st!