Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. 1855 William Henry Price 3rd Monmouthshire Reg. Photo Please.

GWF1967

Hi,

I'm researching  Pte. 1855 William Henry Price - B.1897 Ebbw Vale.  He is related to the Mother in Law of my son.

C.1911 he is living with his parents James 53 and Ann 51 at 65 Harcourt Street, Ebbw Vale.  He was a Coal Miner/Hewer.

Enlisted Ebbw Vale. 

3rd Batt. moved overseas on 14th February 1915.

9th May 1915 ( part of 83rd Brig - 28th Div.)  admitted to No.3 C.C.S - G.S.W, L/Thigh?

3rd Monmouthshire were the Pioneer Batt for 49th West Riding division from 2 September 1915.  On 19th December 49th Div. were subjected to the first use of Phosgene. 

William was KiA on 29th December 1915. Family lore says he was boarding a train and was killed by long range shellfire.

Can anyone tell me where 3rd Monmouth were on 29th December and/or find a picture of William please.

Edit. From an old thread by Martin Gibson in 2006. 

"29th December 1915 whilst parading at Elverdinghe Chateau a shell landed in the middle of the assembled ranks causing numerous casualties"

Edited by GWF1967

• 11 months later...

William died as shown above while on parade just before being discharged for leave.

He is remembered on the gravestones for his parents and sister Mary (Chick) in Ebbw Vale Cemetery.

The stones surround the grave  - there is not a headstone.4-5