Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Outram

manicminer

I would appreciate some advice relating to the attached scan.  Joseph Outram was attested to the Army Reserve on 16 September 1914 but then the document has been overwritten with "Discharged 21/11/1914".  I note his regular previous service was with the 1st Btn Coldstream Guards. 

On the Attestation form for the reserves his occupation is shown as 'Deputy' which I do know refers to his role as a Colliery Deputy.  Am I safe to assume that his discharge from the reserves was due to his age (47) and his responsible position in the coal mines?

Thanks

Outram Army Reserve.pdf

Edited by manicminer
Typo

Hi,

I think that you can only speculate really. The file does say that he was discharged under para 392 (xxv) of the King's Regs, but I believe that is nothing more specific than 'His services being no longer required'.

Regards

Chris

• Admin

Could this be his original service attestation in 1885 on FMP? Link here Age, Regiment and place of birth all fit but signature is a little different.

image.png

Hi David

I think this is indeed the right record/person. Also confirms that he was a collier when he attested. In early 1901 he was a Colliery Deputy so I suspect his early life as a collier, coupled to his military service, almost certainly gave him the credentials to rejoin the coal mining service and very quickly become a deputy. Strange life story however for, despite 12 years army service, and after receiving the King Edward Medal for bravery in an attempted mines rescue disaster in 1908, he ended his own life prematurely by hanging in 1924.

I thank you for your input which has now given me another lead on tracing his life story

Best wishes.

Phil