Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Walk

paullaw1155

Looking for some info on a walk I am hoping to do when we visit the Somme in May. Is it possible to walk from the Sunken Lane over Redan ridge and onto Sheffield Park. We are staying at Avrils tea rooms. Where could we park the car or is it walkable from Avrils. any advice as to using the car or try some war walks would be appreciated. We will have two full days on the Somme.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

Yes, it's quite possible to do this walk.

I'd leave the car at Avril's walk down to the crossroads in the village and turn right down the Beaumont Road. Left, up the sunken lane to the Redan Ridge and turn right , dropping down into Beaumont Hamel. Back up the Beaumont Road towards Auchonvillers, left up to the Hawthorn Crater then along the Hawthorn Ridge and on to Newfoundland Park.

I'd advise carrying a drink with you or you'll be thirsty when you get back to Avril's!

Have you got a copy of Paul Reed's 'Walking the Somme' - it's a must have if you want to know what it is you're looking at along the route.

There are plenty of good walks in the other Battleground Europe books covering the Somme. Are you interested in any particular units or places?

Regards,

Ken

An easy hop from Avril's - leave the car there. You can go left but a better walk is to turn right; next left down 'Blunden's' lane, across to Hawthorne Ridge Cemetery No.1 (one of the most serene on the Somme IMHO), past the crater, to White City and Sunken Lane.

For walks in the Somme Paul Reed's Battleground Europe 'Walking the Somme' is the best book to get.

Sorry folks but it is Sheffield Park that Paul wants to get to.

Follow the previous instructions to the Sunken Lane. Up the lane and on to the ridge to Redan Cemetary No 2.

Continue and where the track joins another ('Watling St') turn left, away from Beaumont until you hit the D919. Turn right, past Serre no 2 on your right, and you will see Sheffield Park on your left up a track.

It is a modest walk but you might like to leave your car at the Sunken Lane end.

Martin

Another route is to go INTO Beaumont Hamel from the ridge and turn left on the road the track joins. This will take you again to the D919 but joins it to the right of Serre 2

Sorry folks but it is Sheffield Park that Paul wants to get to.

:unsure: oops! so it is - sorry!

That'll teach me to come home late and not read the question

:ph34r:

Sorry folks but it is Sheffield Park that Paul wants to get to

Indeed, but he did ask if it is possible to walk from Avrils's... ;)

The route I described above will take him there...via many other interesting sights rather than a plain old road! - down the old Beaumont road following in Edmund Blunden's footsteps, up one of the 'five avenues' communication trenches, great views up to the old front lines, one of the prettiest cemeteries on the Somme, past the mine that is the obligatory shot on any news Great War item, across to the Sunken lane and up to the Serre area.

One of the best walks on the Somme IMHO. ;)

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

All the comments have given me food for thought. A bit spoilt for choice. I live in Lancashire (Lancashire Lad) so the Sunken lane has some meaning to me as doe's Sheffield park for the accrington pals memorial. I worked in Accrington for a brief period and attended one of Bill turners presentations there. I have the Holts guide books and two of Martin Middlebrooks books for reference. I last visited the Western front with a couch group from Sheffield two years ago and have been planning this trip for quite awhile. We are doing a self drive Ypres salient, Somme, and Vimmy ridge on the way back to Dunkirk. My two friends have not been before, this will be my third trip, I have warned them that they WILL WANT TO RETURN again.

Once again Thanks for your comments they are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

Im doing this walk with you in spirit and envy too!!! Keep me informed on your plans and will speak soon I hope??

Lindsey

Lindsey

I will keep you informed. I have got a copy of Paul Reed's book Somme walks it is very interesting. Thanks to Giles and Ken for reccomending it.

Cheers

Paul

Enjoy yourself Paul :)

I try and do that walk every year or so.

The variation of the walk I describe is pinched from Paul's book IIRC. It is one of the essential guides to the area and luckily, many of the walks encompass particular areas of interest for me.

If you do decide to walk up to Hawthorne Ridge Cemetery No.1, stand there and look around and you'll see why I like it so much - it's a magical spot. ;)

These routes are great, i walked over the Redan ridge (in the opposite drection) in the sheeting rain. Passed the reputed spot too of Wilfred Owens Dugout, near the spot of the Heidenkopf strongpoint which is just south west of the French chapel at Serre.

Hope you enjoy it too.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for a walk on Easter Sunday and I think this is the one for me. In fact i'm sure. Combine two walks from Pauls book as suggested by Giles on the 1st Feb post.

This could also solve the eating problem.

So, how long would this walk be, can I leave the car at Avrils and can I eat at Avrils after the walk?

regards Geoff

Depends how fast you walk!

Probably about 2.5-3 hrs.

Depending what time you get back, I don't see why you can't eat at Avril's. Mind you, this being Easter Sunday, would you be wise to book?

Martin

Yes, silly question on my part. I should definately know better than to ask "how long"

Thanks for that about Avrils being busy Easter Sunday, I will follow your advice

regards Geoff