Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German bayonet

Steve1871

I thought a 84/98, but compair to a 71/84, the pommel is longer , so am not sure. 

Also, the unit marking have "U", so think Uhlan unit? Any you guy's know please?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Steve!

Yes. Ulanen-Regiment 15, 3rd Eskadron, weapon 158.

Thank's Andy!!! Is this an 84/98??

are Ulan marked bayonet's scarce?. I have had this piece a great many years, but kept forgetting about it. You are a great help as alway's

Steve

Hi Steve. Yes. To me it´s a 84/98 n.A. mit Sägerückenklinge (new pattern with sawback):

Source: Preußisch-deutsche Seitengewehre 1807-1945, vol. 1 (by Rüdiger W.A. Franz)

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

The one with the shorter pommel is indeed a 71/84 and the longer pommel one is the purpose-made 84/98, to fit the Gew.98. These began to be produced in 1915, and gave birth to the Wehrmacht version.

Cavalry-marked bayonets of any kind are in general rarer than infantry ones, as there were far fewer of these units - there were some 180 or so infantry regiments in the original numbered series plus of course their reserves, and the number increased after 1914, but only about 50-70 cavalry units, with less manpower - Andy and GreyC can tell us more on this. Whatever, it follows that as sawback versions represented 6% of overall 84/98 production then cavalry marked sawback versions are correspondingly rarer than infantry-marked ones. BUT, I have a feeling from analysis of surviving unit-marked bayonets that sawback bayonets of any kind were popular bring-backs, and so surviving examples represent up to 20% if not more of all surviving types.

Something to be aware of, by the way, is that in November 1914, Kaiser Wilhelm odered that all cavary units should have short bayonets for their carbines. This order resulted in, I believe, the contracts for the first Ersatz bayonets and then the production of the S.14 and the 84/98. 

Julian

17 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hi Steve!

Yes. Ulanen-Regiment 15, 3rd Eskadron, weapon 158.

As always you are correct. 

Steve, a very rare seen unit marking on sawback version (if you think that about 6% were the sawback models). 

Regards

D. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of interest and for reference... 

For a long time I had my doubts about any sawback bayonets being issued to cavalry before the introduction of the 84/98 and S.14, etc. But I found a reference in Le Matin dated 14th September 1914 that on the 5th August, a French sous-officier had found such a weapon on the body of a ‘hussard Saxon’ in Belgium...

Julian