Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Aircraft

alantwo

I would be grateful if someone could confirm the aircraft type from the attached imagines. I assume it is an LVG but which version, the rudder is not as rounded as images I've seen of a B1. Would this particular aircraft have participated in the Gallipoli campaign of 1915 or is it from a latter period of the Ottoman Air Force

Apologies if this has been queried before, but my thanks in advance for any comments.

Alan

Gallipoli Aircraft 01.JPG

Gallipoli Aircraft 02.JPG

Alan,

I must admit that I've never given this "aircraft" a very close examination

and have always (perhaps incorrectly - then again, perhaps not) considered it as a display model,

rather than as a genuine period museum piece - eg: if a genuine WWI machine, then why is it displayed outside in all weathers?

Having said that, as an ex-infantryman, I am not really qualified to pass comment.

Nevertheless,..... to me, the rudder in this example looks to be too small to be effective 

I shall be interested to read a better informed opinion

best regards

Michael

5 hours ago, alantwo said:

I would be grateful if someone could confirm the aircraft type from the attached imagines. I assume it is an LVG but which version, the rudder is not as rounded as images I've seen of a B1. Would this particular aircraft have participated in the Gallipoli campaign of 1915 or is it from a latter period of the Ottoman Air Force

Apologies if this has been queried before, but my thanks in advance for any comments.

Alan

Gallipoli Aircraft 01.JPG

Gallipoli Aircraft 02.JPG

Hi

It looks rather more 'mock-up' than 'real' to me.  The tail plane surfaces, fin and rudder appear to be 'wooden board' rather than ribs covered in fabric.  The wing coverings look very odd as does the undercarriage amongst other things.

Mike

Mate,

The 1st Ottoman Air Company was raised by the Germans in early 1915.

It is shown as

Tayyare Boluk (Aircraft Company) 1st Sqn - formed (3x Aircraft (Rumpler B1) + seaplane) at San Stefano 2-15 to Çanakkale 3-15 to Galata 7-15 to Tekirdag (3x Albatros B1 & 1x Rumpler B1) 9-15

So the plane should be a Rumpler B1, but by the photo it looks like a Albatros B1.

The first three Rumplers were bombed by the British and replaced by Albatross.

But the tail has me also, the closest I can find is a Gotha float plane WD13 which had some thing like it?

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Michael, Mike and Steve

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I have to agree Michael, that we have a new spacious museum building behind the aircraft thus why was it not being protected from the elements therein; it is looking rather ragged in places. Some of the parts do not appear correct as alluded to by Mike, the tyres for example seem wrong altogether almost those that might be found in a car boot. The exhaust pipe seems to be missing and the elevators are solid, but perhaps as a 'display model' that has been partly restored it can be forgiven. I think Steve has the best guess in suggesting it an Albatross B1 as this aircraft has a slightly more elongated nose than the LVG and at least the rudder has a similar profile. The illustration below is from 'The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide, Aircraft of World War I, by Jack Herris and Bob Pearson, my version was published in 2014 by Amber Books, p10.

My thanks again for you help.

Alan

325922076_GallipoliAircraftAlbatross.jpg.96fbc71ba13f1c0e549c174b7904a279.jpg