Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery scabbard's ?!

Steve1871

I use a standard Mauser 71/84 bayonet and scabbard for coparison 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I pick up these scabbard's as a group. Seller did not know what they belong to either 

Well, the frog-studs certainly look German, but I can't quite think now what they might belong to, especially the ones with a brass locket (I assume a brass chape is missing from the other). Germany did, of course, supply bayonets to many other countries...

Edited by trajan

Steve,

Your first photo - from the top - No.1. Brazilian M.1908 Mauser bayonet for the 7 mm rifle, missing the throat fitting. No. 2. As No.1 but someone has cut it about to try and fit the wrong bayonet in it. 3 & 4 The two black painted scabbards are probably from German private purchase dress bayonets could be as late as the start of WW 2.

Hope this helps

Mike

Thank's a lot there Mike. A very big help for me there!

On 18/07/2019 at 13:37, Mike_H said:

Steve,

Your first photo - from the top - No.1. Brazilian M.1908 Mauser bayonet for the 7 mm rifle, missing the throat fitting. No. 2. As No.1 but someone has cut it about to try and fit the wrong bayonet in it. 3 & 4 The two black painted scabbards are probably from German private purchase dress bayonets could be as late as the start of WW 2.

Hope this helps

Mike

Well done Mike! If I recall correctly the 'dress' bayonets did come in varying sizes.