Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sir Alfred Munnings, War Artist

Chris Foster

My wife and I finally went to visit the Sir Alfred Munnings museum at is former home Castle House in Dedham, Essex

There are over 40 of his paintings, being exhibited, which he painted during his time as a war artist in France, with the CEF.

The paintings depict the Canadian Cavalry Brigade, horses and men in various settings and the work of the Canadian Forestry Corp and their reliance of horse power to transport the timber from the forests to the saw mills.

I know this topic as been covered before, whilst the exhibition was housed at the NAM, and a number of Forum members visited at the time and their comments  were very favourable (Steven Broomfield's critique convinced me that I must see the paintings) Unable to get to London during that period I decided to wait until the exhibition was moved to Munnings former home Castle House, Dedham Essex. Being a great admirer  of Munnings art work, not only would I get to see his War paintings but a large number of his other works situated there on permanent display .

If anyone is considering going to the exhibition, I would urge them to do so, its magnificent !! His use of light and his impressionistic style, truly are wonderful.

It runs until the 3rd November and the opening times of the museum Weds to Sunday 2pm till 5pm, Bank holiday Mondays, 2pm till 5pm.

Edited by Chris Foster

1 hour ago, Chris Foster said:

If anyone is considering going to the exhibition, I would urge them to do so, its magnificent !!

Absolutely.

Even made going to the NAM worthwhile and I can offer no higher praise.

Made for a very enjoyable afternoon a few weeks back - you could even take pictures in that part of the museum as long as you didn't use flash !

The war commission pictures alone enthralled three generations ranging from 90 to 20. Only one slight caveat - I don't know whether they had just sprayed moth repellent or there was a build up of a dust, but there was a lot of sneezing and people complaining of itchy eyes that seemed to clear quite rapidly once you left that part of the museum. I'm sure it was a one off, but just in case, don't forget to take your "hayfever" medication. (I couldn't as I was 'designated' driver and suffered the consequences, hence slightly shaky hands :-)

Enjoy,

Peter

(Edit - the attachments show On the Edge of the Wood, Tea in the Chateau  and R.W Sutherland, Cavalry Officer (1916). )

On the Edge of the Wood, Alfred Munnings, Munnings Museum June 2019.jpg

Tea in the Chateau 030318 Alfred Munnings, Munnings Museum, June 2019.jpg

R W Sutherland Cavalry Officer 1916, Alfred Munnings, Munnings Museum, June 2019.jpg

Edited by PRC
To give titles to the attachments

Just a wonderful exhibition.... so worthwhile making the extra effort to go.