Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alex Taylor 265836 1/6 Black Watch

dhubthaigh

I found the name A(lex) Taylor in a list of wounded both in The Scotsman (07/09/1917) and Perthshire Advertiser (08/09/1917). I also found a report of his death in the Perthshire Advertiser (15/08/1917) but this may be erroneous as I cannot find a matching casualty record.

There are four references to him in the Soldiers' Medical Records on FMP.

However, I cannot see an MIC for him nor in the Medal Rolls.....?

The Scotsman 07-09-1917.jpg

PA 08-09-1917.jpg

PA 15-08-1917.jpg

No cards/rolls/service record/effects etc. on Ancestry either. CWGC has no one of that number and only a few Taylors BW (you probably know all this). I found an electoral roll on Ancestry that shows a Mrs David Taylor living at 13 Ballantine Place in 1910-11. As the address housed a number of differently-named residents, it seems she was boarding there. Her husband is not mentioned.

I did a quick Ancestry search, but whilst there are contenders, I can't pin him down without further information.

Nevertheless, he is listed as a LCpl section commander (correct service number) in D Company in the WD: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_2876_0-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_2876_0-00304 (Ancestry) on an undated page following the WD Aug 17 entries showing all such appointees. It is unclear whether this page is retrospective and whether he survived the 6/BW attack on 31 Jul/01 Aug 17 (3rd Ypres). It would be worth searching the WD further.

A mystery!

Acknown

This may muddy the waters, it certainly doesn't clarify them!

In the Black Watch BWV medal roll, the number 265836 is missing.  The pre-1917 numbers are annotated alongside all the names.  Numerically, he would have been 2735 (ie 2734 is 265 835 and 2736 is 265837)

There is a medal card for an 2735 A Taylor Royal Highlanders which has him later in the Army Ordnance Corps with number 040505.  The  (AOC) 1915 Star roll for that man says he was Royal Highlanders when he qualified for that medal with a date to France of 2 May 1915.  1/6 Black Watch went to France on 2 May 1915.

In the AOC BWV medal roll, 040505 Alexander Taylor is given as previously Royal Scots (!)

There are two medal cards at the National Archives, WO 372/19/153863  for 2735 A Taylor Royal Highlanders then 040505 AOC with all three medals

and then WO 372/19/154511  for 2735 Alexander Taylor Royal Scots then AOC 040505 with only BWV medals

This looks like what was recently termed an omnishambles with co** up upon co** up - unless someone can suggest sense out of the above, I can't.

Max

Thanks for replies, excellent work. This is his pension record with an address at 13 Ballantine Place 

alex taylor.jpg

Alexander Taylor married an Elizabeth Brown in Airdrie in 1922. He is described as a Grocery Manager - so moved from Perth to Airdrie (as per Pension Card) to take up a (promoted) post. 

Another added to my list of 6th Black Watch men who landed in France on 2nd May, 1915. An example, however, of the difficulty in trying to compile this list.

The four medical records all relate to the same wounding in Aug 1917 and end with him being sent to England on 11 Aug 1917.  He (2735) would have been allocate his new number by then but this may not have caught up in his records so he is shown there with the new number but the remainder of the records have his old number.

Wrong is the "Royal Scots" on one of the cards but it happens.  My suggestion  -  2735 is 265836 who then after perhaps convalescence at home joined AOC.

Newspaper report - mix up?  The AOC Taylor was discharged with a pension so who was killed in action from the same address? 

Max

Max, thanks again. I checked the Taylor's listed in the City of Perth RoH. Nine in total - David, Hugh, James, John x 2, Peter x 2, Thomas & Walter. I had transcribed articles for all and not one directly connected to Alex or the address at Ballantine Place........

It looks like he spent a reasonable amount of time recovering as #040549 was issued in April 1918 so I doubt Alex's AOC number was too far before that time wise.

Craig

56 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Too late to ask for a for a correction in the paper I imagine :D

Max

Maybe they still have a letters column...

Craig