Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Chrystal - Kiwi att. 29th Div. Arty.

michaeldr

I'm looking for the initials + any other details which someone might have for this officer 

He is mentioned in a footnote to the British OH Gallipoli, Vol.II, p.44 [re Third Krithia]

"....although the reading of aerial photographs was still in its infancy, the diagram compiled from them was extremely accurate and proved of great value to the troops. This diagram was made at 29th Division artillery headquarters by a New Zealander, Captain Chrystal,......"

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Helpjpl

That's great – the correct spelling of the family name and a lead into his records – many thanks indeed. (Also noteworthy that a Lieutenant RND would equate to an Army Captain)

I was typing my reply when your second post came up

My only worry, is that since the op, my further reading has turned to 'Grasping Gallipoli' by Chasseaud & Doyle, who say on p.225 that the trench diagram for IIIrd Krithia was prepared by a Captain Nugent.

The waters are further muddied by their ref. on the next page (226) to a Captain H M Chrystall who was VIII Corps Map Officer on 25th August 1915. C & D further speculate that this 'might' have been a H M Chrystall RE who was a Trig Officer with the 3rd & 5th Field Survey Company in France in 1918.

This latter in fact sounds like the man which you have just identified

But who prepared the diagram for IIIrd Krithia; Nugent or Chrystall?

I'm very grateful & thanks again for all your help

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

His transfer from the RND to the RE must have occurred quite early (perhaps even on Gallipoli) as he is not included in the Howe muster roll of 3rd May 1916.

Sub Lt Harvey CHRYSTALL RNVR (he was not promoted to Lt), was wounded in early May 1915 (bullet wound abdomen) and evacuated to Egypt for treatment at Deaconess Hospital, Alexandria (admitted 8 May). He did not rejoin Howe Bn at Imbros until 15 Jun, eleven days after 3rd Krithia. CHRYSTALL was not present on the peninsula when the 3rd Krithia map-making was in progress. I think Nugent is the more likely creator.

Sub Lt CHRYSTALL was temporarily transferred to 8 Corps HQ for survey work on 28 June, so his fingerprints may well be on later maps. He was employed as a Staff Captain and application was made for him to be appointed Acting Lt RNVR while so employed at HQ 8 Corps.

In 1916 he went to Salonika Jan to Apr and was invalided home via Egypt with neurasthenia "from shock and shell-fire". His RND commission was terminated 19 Aug 1916 after he had applied for a temporary commission as a Lt RE.