Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BATTLEFIELD TOUR - ALL ARMS WARFARE

Acknown

I want to visit the WF in August for a couple of days and tour somewhere where an action took place illustrating the all-arms cooperation between infantry, tanks and artillery in an advance or substantial attack. So probably 1918. It should be somewhere where the terrain is still recognisable and, importantly, has good access. 

Any ideas very welcome, thank you.

Acknown

The Battle of the Selle from San Souplet towards Le Cateau from mid October 1918 may fit.

American tanks working with Aircraft, 4th Army artillery and infantry attacking along the River Selle - 19 of 20 tanks crossed successfully.

This battle started with taking Prospect Hill near Gouy and breaking the Hindenburg Line here.

With the River Selle being in No Man's land there was a lot of cooperation and help from aircraft to ensure artillery, tanks, and men crossed succesfully.

You can follow the 4th army onward on these very successful battles which I think are one of the most coordinated attacks I've every read about.

Access is easy but it's not a 'tourist trail' type area with information placards etc - you would need your own books, maps and imagination in places!

That's from my head but if you need more information I have visited this area 4 times and have a few decent books on it so may be able to help if you need.

Edited by JasonMc
typo

Cambrai. Ow Hamel. Amiens. Albert. The Scarpe. Etc.

Thank you both.

Jason - I'm grateful for all the useful detail. Certainly one to consider.

Acknown