Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ernest Albert George Collier ERA RN

ChrisC

Some questions for the RN experts. I attach the first part of the record of a family member who enlisted in 1913 and which shows his service in the Great War. Any information about the ships or stations on which he served is gratefully received and can anyone take a guess on what medals he would have earned?

I assume the Repulse is the battle cruiser finally sunk by the Japanese?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Ernest Collier RN.1.JPG

Edited by ChrisC
new information

Google tells me it was the same REPULSE, yes. PEMBROKE II was a shore establishment (Sheppey/ Sheerness, I think) and FISGARD the school for ERAs established in a hulk at Portsmouth (named after the hulk that had been at Woolwich in the 19C).

The  Medal Roll (ADM 171/99 at Kew) records that he was entitled to the Victory and British War Medals. He claimed these after the war and they were issued to him in person.

Interested to know why he was back-classed or "put back 3 months" on as a Boy ERA at Fisgard and on Christmas Day 1916. It looks like "inadequate progress in marksmanship" but I would think it highly unlikely an artificer would be put back for this reason. Can anybody decipher the word? He picked up somewhat because by 18 May 1917 he was approved for promotion to ERA 5th Class and "training afloat" even though his ability was still assessed as "Moderate". 

Not "marksmanship" but "workmanship" i.e. his technical skills.

His Ability as a Boy Artificer up to the end of 1915 was assessed as 'Satisfactory' (= average) and he was advanced to Artificer 5th Class with an assessment of Moderate (= below average) but he must have passed the required examination. Somebody, by definition, has to be below average.

Thanks H2. Sometime later, not sure when, ability of artificers under training was not assessed but given as U/T meaning under training. When I was training to be an Artificer, in late 60s and early 70s, my ability assessment was given as U/T until I was promoted to Artificer 3rd Class (Leading Hand) after over 4 years training at Fisgard, Caledonia and at sea.

On 12/07/2019 at 03:26, Lawryleslie said:

Interested to know why he was back-classed or "put back 3 months" on as a Boy ERA at Fisgard and on Christmas Day 1916. It looks like "inadequate progress in marksmanship" but I would think it highly unlikely an artificer would be put back for this reason. Can anybody decipher the word? He picked up somewhat because by 18 May 1917 he was approved for promotion to ERA 5th Class and "training afloat" even though his ability was still assessed as "Moderate". 

Hi Lawry, I thought it was "workmanship"! 

Chris

On 10/07/2019 at 17:07, horatio2 said:

The  Medal Roll (ADM 171/99 at Kew) records that he was entitled to the Victory and British War Medals. He claimed these after the war and they were issued to him in person.

Many thanks, Horatio. Are these records online via Ancestry or FMP?

Chris

A big thank you to all who responded.

Chris

Many thanks!

Chris

• 3 years later...

Hi Chris

Ernest Collier is my Granddad. 

I may well be able to add some information about his medals / life etc. My Dad, his son was in the Navy too.

I don't know if you will get this as i see the original discussion was a few years ago.

Regards Linda

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @ChrisC last visited the forum in 2019. May tag  might alert them to your post. 

Hi Linda, 

so I last visited in 2019 - how time flies! So it seems we are distantly related. Your Dad comes from a long line of sailors, you must be very proud of him. 

kind regards 

Chris