Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Tanks- 2 volume set

BlackSeptember1918

Hi

I was wondering if someone can give me a review of this 2 volume set on British tank history . I have heard about a 1st edition set that I could get my paws on , but being a decent price I was hoping someone could give me an idea if it's money well spent or not .

Thanks.

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

No one replied so it makes you wonder if everyone has the book and can't believe you haven't , or if no one has it ??..or an equally puzzling unknown other reason .

But anyway ..I purchased the volumes , and if anyone was wondering about them , I would have to say there brilliant . I'm only about 3/4 of the way through the First Volume , but have browsed the second one . If you are strickly only into WWI then you can save on cost by just buying the first volume on it's own . Being written in 1959 it's probably worth digging a little deeper and getting a copy in the best condition possible . The set I got is in great condition ..just a little loosening of the spine .

A definate top shelf set of books . I can't imagine anyone not enjoying them ( or it )

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Perhaps the 'Buffs' running around the Forum somewhere all have your prize books?

Thanks for mentioning them again, any chance of a write-up when you're finished?

Shouldn't take long seeing the rate at which you're obviously devouring them. ;)

Is there any mention in part one on (Brig.) F. Gore Anley, Commander Administrative HQ and Training Centre Machine Gun Corps (Heavy Branch), later the Tank Corps. He held this post until June 1917, or the M.G.C. Training Centre in Grantham at all.

I'm very interested.

Cheers,

Michael

G'day Michael

There has been a mention of Anley . There seems to have been a movement to remove the original driving forces of the Tanks . Swinton was removed and sent back to his former post at the War Cabinet Secretariat . As there was a train of thought from G.HQ. that the force lacked dicipline . This was more from appearance more than anything of soldiers working in the messy confines of machinery , also as they had been rushed through there training to be part of 15th Sept 16 and other things had to be looked on as less important . Anyway , Ansley was given the post vacated by Swinton and apparently declared when he took charge at Elveden in early November " that he had come to put discipline into the Corps , and was not interested in the tanks ".....the attitude initially caused a jar and deepend the resentment at Swinton's removal . It goes on to say that Anley did improve discipline , but also soon became a keen and helpful supporter of the tank movement .

I'll add some more stuff if it comes to light as I go along .

The book has actually really allowed me to understand the course of events that brought the tank into being from several peoples idea's . I have only read short sweeping chapters on that before . Also Liddell Hart has some very interesting things to say about some of conduct of the Battles fought . It really gives you some food for thought . If anyone was wanting to read about his great great grandad who was in the tank corps in the Great War , then they probably would be disappointed , as it goes into more of the general movements in battle more than each individual crew , but apart from that it's facinating stuff .

For a more personal account story I think " Tanks and Trenches " is a great book.

Thanks .

Phil.

Thank you Phil!

For this info. My Grandfather served under Anley in the 2nd Bn Essex Regiment and ended up (possibly around the time Anley was appointed to the Heavy Branch) as an Machine Gun instructor - according to family lore - in Grantham.

Hence my interest. There seems to be a bit of a mystery regarding the transfer of Anley and there is a funny anecdote about him. I'll look this up and keep you posted.

Thanks for any info you might still find and the books sure sound fascinating indeed.

Cheers,

Michael