Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help tracing this man...is he an Officer?

Alan24

Whilst I am fairly clear about tracing soldiers and all the tips given on Long Long Trail, I am still struggling with this man.

I believe he may be an officer and I am not as practiced at searching for officers.

The only clues I have is his name J. McKee whose wife is Mary and the address on the PC, 36 Gladsmuir Road, Highgate.

Is 'The Richmond' a public house?

The only Freebmd entry that fits is a 1913 marriage in Windsor of John McKee to Mary Hynes. 

I really like the painting on the front of the postcard, especially when googling for the colour version on the net.

I'd like to think that he bought the card whilst on leave in Paris.

Regards

Alan.

off front.JPG

off back.JPG

The colour version

off3.JPG

10 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

The only clues I have is his name J. McKee whose wife is Mary and the address on the PC, 36 Gladsmuir Road, Highgate.

Is 'The Richmond' a public house?

The only Freebmd entry that fits is a 1913 marriage in Windsor of John McKee to Mary Hynes. 

Service Record for 76798 John McKee, Royal Engineers, is on ancestry. He married Mary Jane Hynes in Engflefield Green, Berks, in 1913:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1219&h=1462280&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=reD1&_phstart=successSource

JP

4 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

Service Record for 76798 John McKee, Royal Engineers, is on ancestry. He married Mary Jane Hynes in Engflefield Green, Berks, in 1913:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1219&h=1462280&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=reD1&_phstart=successSource

JP

Thanks JP

This RE man is definitely the man in the Freebmd marriage record.

But I'm now not so sure it's the man on the postcard, now that I have seen is signature...?

Regards

Alan.

off4.JPG

off6.JPG

off5.JPG

2 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

This RE man is definitely the man in the Freebmd marriage record.

But I'm now not so sure it's the man on the postcard.

off6.JPG

Agreed .... and not convinced the postcard is signed 'Love John'

JP

According to the 1920 Electoral Roll 34 Gladsmuir Road (Islington) is occupied by James McKee and Julia Mary McKee. 36 is occupied by Denis and Ellen Donovan

1 minute ago, dundeesown said:

Is it not just "Love JM ?

Agreed the sig. is 'Love Jm' or 'JMc'.

My reference to John was from the marriage, which has now been proved to be the man in the RE, not the man on the postcard.

Mark's reference to James McKee now looks to be the correct route to go.

Regards

Alan.

A James McKee marries either Julia M O'Donovan or Lililan G Phillips in Islington 4th Q 1915. Donovans next door??

Edited by Mark1959

1 minute ago, Mark1959 said:

J M O'Donovan

That'll be Julia Mary then as your post #6

Thanks Mark

Alan

11 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

According to the 1920 Electoral Roll 34 Gladsmuir Road (Islington) is occupied by James McKee and Julia Mary McKee. 36 is occupied by Denis and Ellen Donovan

I'm wondering If I can make the assumption that although 'Mary' is married to a soldier who has gone to war, she is living with her parents at no. 36, only setting up home at 34 after the war.

That would explain "love to all at 36"...that'll be the in-laws. 

Alan.

Looks like her surname is Donovan. There is a 1911 census record for a Donovan family at 12 Dresden Road Highgate, Widow Ellen aged 52. Julia M is an assistant teacher aged 23, Denis is this Julia's youngest sibling aged 12. A Julia Mary Donovan birth registered in Croydon 1Q 1887. 1911 census shows the nearby Mitcham as place of birth.

Edited by Mark1959

This looks like the couple but no link to military service yet.

1967.JPG

22 dec.JPG

Done a lot of probing without success. Think the next logical step is to get the Marriage Certifcate. This should give his full name, address and age and may show if he is a soldier at the time. Should be available from the GRO for £6

2 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Done a lot of probing without success. Think the next logical step is to get the Marriage Certifcate. This should give his full name, address and age and may show if he is a soldier at the time. Should be available from the GRO for £6

Thanks for digging,

That's where I'd got to too.

Worth a punt at £6 just to satisfy the curiosity...

Regards

Alan.

Also RIR McKee has an address in Belfast on reverse of MIC - he applied 1921.

On 08/07/2019 at 10:39, Mark1959 said:

Think the next logical step is to get the Marriage Certifcate. This should give his full name, address and age and may show if he is a soldier at the time. Should be available from the GRO for £6

Unfortunately, the short PDF versions for £7 are for Births & Deaths only. I would have to go for the full version by post. 

Managed to track them down in the 1939 Register  - same town, different address.

James McKee d.o.b. 11 May 1890 Schoolmaster - 60 New Road Wootton Bassett 

Julia M Mckee d.o.b. 19 July 1887 domestic duties - 58 Noremarsh Road Wootton Bassett

Clearly they both had a career in teaching. 

Regards

Alan.

5 hours ago, Alan24 said:

Clearly they both had a career in teaching

Hello Alan, spotted Julia M McKee or Julie M McKee but originally dismissed her, as DoB didn't quite match, but since finding a James McKee in the same town with the right year of birth got me back I that way of thinking.

Interesting  for Julia that a Jan 1890 date was crossed out, seems are death was registered as Julie M McKee and buried recorded as Julia M McKee. 

So with a Teaching connection then this man is good starter,  quick glance there is a Middlesex Regiment James McKee with overseas service, but transferred to the Labour Corps and was only a Private. 

Andy 

Screenshot_20190709_190303.jpg

Looking at the LLT for the Middlesex Regiment the Gibraltar trajectory matches"ish 1/7th & 1/8th Battalions.  The MIC for James McKee 3020 is TF man... But not quite convinced enough for it to be him yet. 

Edited by HolymoleyRE

15 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

1911 Census has him at St Mary's Teacher Training College. 

London1911_00260_0339_96.jpg

Great work Andy.

The Liverpool link is good to have. I had narrowed him down to Liverpool or Whitehaven on freebmd but with no idea if he had even been born in England.

I've ordered the marriage certificate after all but fear that if he was a TF Man his occupation given would be his civillian one. (As in the case of one of my relatives).

Great find too Chris.

Regards 

Alan 

Edited by Alan24

So my opinion is swinging towards 3020/224339 Private James McKee 7th Battalion the Middlesex Regiment. 

London City Council Records show a very likely man as serving in Gibraltar & France. 

1914-15 Star Roll has 224339 James McKee 7th Battalion MR, who served in Gibraltar & France. 

Just checking the War Diary for anything Obs around October - December 1915 when James married in Islington. 

I can forgive the Cpl rank if he was either appointed Lance Corporal or acting Corporal in Gibraltar. 

Screenshot_20190709_214701.jpg

Screenshot_20190709_221524.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

These pages for the 30th & 31st July 1915, might clinch it...

First page shows a draft of men arriving from Gibraltar. 

Second paged highlighting Capt Buckland arriving from Gibraltar, his arrival in France was 27th July 1915.... Same date as 3020/224339 Private James McKee. 

Andy 

43849_1713_2-00071.jpg

Screenshot_20190709_225422.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Thanks again Andy. 

Interestingly his baptism has been updated with a note regarding his marriage...not sure why they copied the baptism date agian rather than the marriage date.

Jacobus McKee

father: William McKee, Policeman (from 1891 & 1901 Census)

mother: Elizabeth Carr

off12.JPG

Edited by Alan24

All is revealed. 

The marriage certificate says Private 7th Middlesex Regiment. Just as Andy had suspected. No mention of being a teacher.

The marriage took place at St.Josephs Highgate Hill on 30 Nov 1915. Married on licence - 48 hours notice suggesting he was on leave.

Address given for both as 36 Gladsmuir Road. Both fathers deceased, his being a police constable. 

Thanks to all above who added info bit by bit. 

Regards

Alan.  

Edited by Alan24