Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
David Hatchard

James Hatchard/ Petty Officer Stoker 277869

David Hatchard

James Hatchard was my great uncle he died on the 8th Aprill 1916 aged 44 and he served at HMS Dolphin, If his service record exists or even a photo of him I would love to see it, Thank you in advance

BillyH

There is a short service history on Ancestry here (hope the link works) :

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60522/43283_adm_188_442-0371?pid=653824&treeid=&personid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=pOv2&_phstart=successSource

This gives detail about the circumstances of his death if you don't already have them?

The navy experts on the forum may be able to tell you more, but your best chance of a photo would be from the local newspapers in the few weeks following his death.

BillyH.

seaJane

I can't see the link because I don't have an Ancestry subscription, but the local public library probably has one. Rather to my surprise I can't find him where I'd expect in the ADM files, even using the service number.

HMS DOLPHIN was a shore establishment, home to the RN Submarine Service (roughly where the RN Submarine Museum is today), and RNH HASLAR where he is buried is half a mile away (also about 10 minutes from where I work, so I could go and see if I can photograph his headstone if you like).

sJ

seaJane

FreeBMD records a James Hatchard dying aged 43 in that quarter of 1916, so depending on whether CWGC or the deaths register is right, he was born some time 1871-1873.

BillyH
Posted (edited)

Hatchard - detail.jpg

First joined the navy in 1894.

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

sotonmate
9 hours ago, seaJane said:

I can't see the link because I don't have an Ancestry subscription, but the local public library probably has one. Rather to my surprise I can't find him where I'd expect in the ADM files, even using the service numbe

sJ

Me too,last night ! No hits to my customary Discovery search. This morning, yes, it pops up to the same info I entered last night !

seaJane

How odd! I too found his record just now using the service number which gave nil return last night. What sorcery is this, @horatio2?