Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No. 11131 Private John Edward Blundell

alantwo

No.11131 Private John Edward Blundell, 7th South Staffordshire Regiment, died 9th August 1915, is commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Gallipoli.

I would be grateful if anyone could let me know if he is commemorated on a war memorial in the UK and if so which one. He was from the Wednesbury area in the Midlands.

My thanks in advance.

Regards

Alan

Edit: Just found him in the Wednesbury Memorial Gardens. Any others?

Edited by alantwo

Hi Alan

A bit of family history. His brother Albert was 17748 South Staffs d.27.11.16. Ancre British Cemetery. His entry in Soldiers' effects is directly above John Edward's whose. Legatees include Albert's wife Elizabeth and his brother in law Amos Berry, his wife Clara Blundell died in 1898.. See 1901 census.

Regards Barry

Albert is on the 1891 census.

Edited by The Inspector

16 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Alan

A bit of family history. His brother Albert was 17748 South Staffs d.27.11.16. Ancre British Cemetery. His entry in Soldiers' effects is directly above John Edward's whose. Legatees include Albert's wife Elizabeth and his brother in law Amos Berry, his wife Clara Blundell died in 1898.. See 1901 census.

Regards Barry

Albert is on the 1891 census.

Hi Barry

Many thanks. I had found the Soldier's Effects page for John Edward, but it was a bit of a surprise to find his brother listed above, my thanks for pointing it out. I've forwarded on your comments and also that they are both on the tablet in the Wednesbury Memorial Gardens. Had I been asked about John Edward a week or so earlier I could have photographed his inscribed name on the Helles Memorial whilst I was there! At least I can add it to the list of excuses to go back.

Thanks again, your help is always appreciated.

Alan