Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hi Folks, I trust you are all well.

We have been asked by the Marquess of Ailsa for some help in identifying the attached pictures.

The 4th Marquess, on the outbreak of the Boer War joined the old Militia Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers and he rose to the rank of Captain. In the first World War, he fought in France and Belgium..Regiment unknown at this time.

The 5th Marquess was commissioned Lieutenant in 1894 to the 3rd Btn (the Royal Ayrshire and Wigtown Militia) of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, but during the Boer War he served as a captain in  the Prince of Wales` Light Horse, and in the first world War he joined the Ayrshire Yeomanry as a temporary Captain.

Any help or info would be most appreciated.

Photo 1.pdf Photo 2.pdf

12 hours ago, RitchiebytheC said:

Hi Folks, I trust you are all well.

We have been asked by the Marquess of Ailsa for some help in identifying the attached pictures.

The 4th Marquess, on the outbreak of the Boer War joined the old Militia Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers and he rose to the rank of Captain. In the first World War, he fought in France and Belgium..Regiment unknown at this time.

The 5th Marquess was commissioned Lieutenant in 1894 to the 3rd Btn (the Royal Ayrshire and Wigtown Militia) of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, but during the Boer War he served as a captain in  the Prince of Wales` Light Horse, and in the first world War he joined the Ayrshire Yeomanry as a temporary Captain.

Any help or info would be most appreciated.

Photo 1.pdf 2.58 MB · 2 downloads Photo 2.pdf 2.97 MB · 2 downloads

Great photos of the Royal Scots Fusiliers (both photos). 

WW1

For the 4th Marquess, there is a newspaper article (The Scotsman  - 20th March 1915) which mentions that the Earl of Cassilis is serving as a Major on the headquarters staff of Third Corps.  He's also in the army list as being a Captain in the Royal Scots Fusiliers as of 1914. 

For the 5th Marquess, wiki says......"After the Boer War, Kennedy moved to the United States, living in Wyoming through about 1910, and then in Nevada, Missouri and Davenport, Iowa. In November 1914, on the outbreak of World War I, he returned to Great Britain and joined the Ayrshire Yeomanry in January 1915. He was passed as "unfit for overseas service" and was appointed an area gas officer in late 1916. Kennedy was briefly posted to France as a gas instructor with the 18th (Eastern) Division in 1918.[1] He resigned his captaincy in the Yeomanry on 14 January 1921"[7]

Edited by Ron Abbott

Ritchie, Can I suggest you contact the Regimental Headquarters of The Royal Highland Fusiliers in Glasgow they should be able to help as they hold many of the historic records of the RSF and HLI who were the antecedents of the RHF.

I concur. The cap badge on the caps rather than the glengarries is definitely fusilier. A blown-up image shows it clearly.

I just had a message on Facebook and they zoomed in on the scanned picture and the medals are the Khedive Star and the Egypt Medal, so they are earlier than Boer War. These were awarded up until 1889 for campaigns in the Sudan. The photo shows Regulars and Officers and the Officers are wearing "Patrol Dress", a type of undress uniform. Now I need to work out who is actually in the photo. There are some men in both photos.

Many thanks everyone...

Eygpt Medal and Khedives Star.jpg