Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conan Doyle's 'A History of the Great War'

Sprucey

Hi, has anyone read A History of the Great War by Conan Doyle? I'm not interested in it from a 'scholarly perspective' but I believe he provided a number of first hand accounts which could be interesting. Did he write the book with any particular biases? Is it worth reading? 

Best

David

This is possibly the same series of books, as evidenced by volume two of A History of the Great War posted by David above.

The British Campaign in France and Flanders by Arthur Conan Doyle. Mainly Archive.org. 1914 Volume I 2nd Edition 1916; 1915 Volume II 2nd Edition 1917; 1916 Volume III 1918; 1917 Volume IV 1919; January to July 1918 Volume V 1919; July to November 1918 Volume VI 1920, Volume VI Project Gutenberg Australia transcribed version where maps may be clearer.

Cheers

Maureen

High marks to Conan Doyle’s depiction of the first phase of the war in The British Campaign in France and Flanders 1914 volume 1.

I bought it at a second hand book shop thirty years ago, and deigned not to read it because I suspected it would be jingoistic nonsense.

At least, that remained the case until many years had passed : curiosity prompted me to refer to his account of Mons and the Aisne, and I immediately repented of my earlier disdain.

It was being written as the war was raging , so there’s bound to be a significant bias......but, let me say, I have developed a profound respect for it, with its  elegant prose and a command of narrative which has served me well when I look for a “ what happened next” account.

Recommended.

Phil

Edited by phil andrade