Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify and locate Grenade Cap for WW1 Stick grenade

AC00

I am looking for some advice regarding my WW1 Stick Grenade. I believe it to be a 1916 Pattern as the date on the handle is 29/06/1916 it also has the marks of CSS and 5.5 Seks 

From the photos you will see the cap is missing, I am trying to find a replacement, if anybody could help this would be great 

IMG_6283.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG

Hi AC

you need both the metal fitting that the cap screws onto and the cap. From "Passion compassion" web site

Cheers

Ross

StielHand1c.jpg

Hi Acoo,

Personally, I would leave your grenade exactly as it is.  You will not, in my opinion, be able to achieve a good match with a replacement cap and may cause damage to the grenade when fitting the new cap.  Such a "restoration" might well devalue the grenade in my opinion.

However, if you are determined to "restore" the grenade you must be careful to fit the correct cap.  I have in my collection an identical (inert!) example to yours.  Mine is marked on the head and handle CSS.  The handle is marked 5 1/2 SEK and it is dated Sp.15.5.16.  You will see a couple of photos below.  Yours would, I think, have been fitted with the earlier cap which did not have a "star" riveted to it to improve grip when unscrewing.  Additionally, the screw fitting is crimped on and not fixed with very small tacks - quite how you would crimp the cap on without damaging the wood I don't know as the wood will be quite soft. 

Anyway, good luck with it.

Regards,

Michael.

DSC04692.JPG

DSC04694.JPG

Michael is right about the fitting. The diameter of the fittings may be different as well. Also note that the length of the stick fitting may vary as well. It seems there was some leeway in this with the manufacturers specifications.

I have a few sets of caps and stick fittings all with pin fittings and the stick diameter is 35mm.

One set has had the pins removed carefully and the holes are perfect the others have some slight tearing around the holes but will work perfectly well. I have made the small pins by cutting panel pins with pliers.

Here's a photo

PM Me if you are interested in buying a set.

SSCN2443.JPG.27eb29f4045a15f145bf1442290b19ff.JPG