Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying Bazentin Relics.

ryandunny

Hi. I found these near Bazentin Le Petit woods last week. Does anyone know if they are first world war relics? At first I thought they could be an entrenching tool and a snipers plate but on closer inspection the entrenching tool  looks to be a different shape and the plate possibly too thin?? So I'm thinking possibly just general items?!

Thanks Ryan. 

IMG_20190701_102949.jpg

IMG_20190701_103049.jpg

IMG_20190701_103026.jpg

I assume the thin plate could be from a British or French shovel or German entrenching tool.

The larger item looks like a big pin, possibly part of a light railway as there seems to be a lip on the head? Not sure about the purpose of what looks like a hole though, maybe to take a smaller nail, bolt or screw.  I have a reasonably large assortment of western front nails, rail pins etc and it is similar but not identical to a few of the bigger pins. 

Thanks both. Ahh yes I hadn't thought of it being part of a light railway. It does have a lip and was found close to the light railway track between Bazentin Le Petit wood and Mametz Wood but yes there is hole there as you say that could fit a screw or bolt. Do you have any pictures to hand of your larger pins? 

Thanks

Ryan 

Infact it was found where the orange arrow is pointing on this map so I think your assumption is spot on mate! 

IMG_20190702_110026.jpg

20190702_170919.jpg.8343b2fac3a44584160a566fdd87b268.jpg

My motley assortment of bits. The Mills plug is for size. The very top left is from Bullecourt, the screw next to it is a standard railway sleeper screw still used today, but I found it just outside Mametz wood where the railway would exit on your map above. Below that, I think, is the retaining pin from a 2" toffee apple mortar bomb. Below that is what I thought was a pistol cleaning rod, but I now think is a pin of some description to secure a ground sheet or similar (from Ginchy). The big flat pin with the curved T I think is a pin for securing camouflage netting, but thats just a guess. The rest are mostly big old nails and a big staple. The square item intrigues me though, again I think it is railway related, it has embossed lettering but I cant make it out, any help on this would be nice. I am, of course, aware that these might be agricultural or domestic in origin, that part of France having a lot more years of history when a war wasn't going on!

Edit, top right looks like part of a gate hinge, funny how looking at the photo rather than the actual object can give a slightly different perspective.

Edited by ServiceRumDiluted

1562084870136797567662.jpg.4fbb699b23ddd48c79e5b0ad81c91b5b.jpg

15620849178231377176182.jpg.43196994c8252c2ffde361cdc4c391c0.jpg

Apologies for thread hijack but here is another bit that intrigues me, it is only about 8cm long, I don't have a clue what it is. There is what looks like a cutting edge on the inside visible in the middle pic.  No apparent threads. Any ideas very welcome.

1562084807361557089634.jpg

Edited by ServiceRumDiluted

It is the end of a Horse and cart cross piece harness hook.could be off any Farmers wagon, plough, harrow. Not a Mk X GS wagon for sure.

images (1).jpg

download.jpg

Edited by 303man

3 hours ago, 303man said:

It is the end of a Horse and cart cross piece harness hook.could be off any Farmers wagon, plough, harrow. Not a Mk X GS wagon for sure.

images (1).jpg

download.jpg

The knowledge here never ceases to amaze me! Thanks 303.

You have single Tree and double tree for pulling stuff, google and you will see various designs.  Harness hooks tend to have the offset bend in them to stop the chains coming off when the pressure pulling is off and they go slack.  I trained as a Blacksmith and the making of trace hooks was one of the exercises. Also called a Whipple Tree designs are numerous.  

images (2).jpg

download (1).jpg

Edited by 303man

Came across these behind High Wood last year.

F4E19C98-EE98-4A85-8DC2-3297988F8D39.jpeg