Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

seaJane

An infuriating fragment

seaJane

I found this on Thursday, adhering to the inside front of a book originally from the Melville Hospital, Chatham. Survival of ephemera like this is rather unusual (speaking as someone who has often been asked for examples of forms).

The word on the blue stamp is [p]harmacist.

[The book is a compilation of articles from the Journal of the RN Medical Service in 1924-1925, which were extracted, re-paginated and reprinted some time between 1926 and 1929 as The Naval Medical History of the War. I don't think it can have been widely published in this combined format, as the only other copies that I know of are in the Naval Historical Branch, the BL and Queen's University Belfast.]

IMG_20190627_170255.jpg

DavidOwen

Jane

I suspect it is a dual purpose form allowing for the occasional supply request for medicinal supplies acting as either or both the supply request and/or receipt note. The medicine or supply item would be written on according to need.  Routine stock requests would probably have been serviced using a pre-printed list.

More modern versions would have used self duplicating paperwork before being replaced by technology.

Regards

David.

seaJane

Thank you! :)