Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Campaign Forest - Wijtschate

caulkheader

Evening chaps, and chapesses.

Campaign Forest [Kampagne Bos] near Wiijtschate.

Question; As this is a designated 'National Forest', is there public access to it?

&

Is there any trace of the extensive German mining operations which I believe took place there visible/worth a visit?

T

Please do not translate place names. "Kampagne" has nothing to do with the English "campaign" but everything with the French "campagne" (countryside) IIRC.

The wood is accessible (there are tracks) and there are some bunkers in the wood. More info can be found in my book "Defending the Ypres Front 1914-1918. Trenches, Shelters & Bunkers of the German Army". There is the deep German counter-mining-shaft Dietrich in the forest.

Jan

28 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Please do not translate place names. "Kampagne" has nothing to do with the English "campaign" but everything with the French "campagne" (countryside) IIRC.

The wood is accessible (there are tracks) and there are some bunkers in the wood. More info can be found in my book "Defending the Ypres Front 1914-1918. Trenches, Shelters & Bunkers of the German Army". There is the deep German counter-mining-shaft Dietrich in the forest.

Jan

Please blame Mr Google for the translation, I did purposely use the 'native' name as well to cover myself!

Anyway, thank you for the swift and informative reply, I will put it on my 'must visit' list.

T