Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AE Matthews, actor

BullerTurner

Would any pal happen to know if AE Matthews, the actor, served in the Great War at all.  I can find no reference myself but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  Born in 1869, he would have been liable to conscription ultimately?

Wikipedia does not mention any Great War service, and I don't think he would have been liable for conscription as he was already 46, and hence over the age limit, when conscription was introduced in 1916.

Ron

He was a Lieutenant-but only in a 1916 film. As he is credited with other films late in the war years, military service seems unlikely. 

A useful listing of actors with the Colours  is contained in "The Stage" for 1915, at pp. 39-46- available  on archive.org.  Matthews is not listed.

At this point I cannot resist the temptation to repeat my favourite A E Matthews story.

I think that the play was The Chiltern Hundreds (but perhaps I'm mistaken)

Anyway, Matthews was famous for his ad libbing, and the cast had had enough, so they plotted their revenge.

There was a telephone on a side table in this particular scene, and, totally unexpectedly, it began to ring.

Everyone pretended not to notice, …..but on and on it rang.....

Until eventually, Matthews could stand it no more and he picked up the receiver.

After a second's pause, he handed it to (?) with great aplomb, and without missing a beat, saying

“It's for you.”

edit: the missing name is David Tomlinson

Edited by michaeldr

He was a Lieutenant-but only in a 1916 film. As he is credited with other films late in the war years, military service seems unlikely. 

Indeed, he was Lieutenant Tosh of the Lifeguards!

it was the absence of evidence (e.g Wikipedia) that led me to enquirer of the pals - where else do you confirm evidence of absence??  I suspect that his contribution to the war effort was purely moral then...

It must fall that way though one cannot be absolutely certain that he did not "serve" in some Home capacity for which we have inadequate records-eg in the National Reserve or as a WRSC-  as did Jack Hulbert,for example. (And John Christie of 10 Rillington Place in the Second War...)   This I think is quite likely- one would have to thump the obits. and  the stage press for that.What we do know is that he would be very highly unlikely to have seen front line service - save perhaps at the Café Royal on a hot afternoon-while frontline servicemen were not noted for being released for filming of commercial productions or to go back on the stage.