Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain George Harvey Duder Webb. RAMC

David Earley

I am currently researching Captain GHD Webb RAMC who died of wounds on 29 March 1918, while attached to the 5th Dragoon Guards.

1838077574_WebbMIC.jpg.433d98d75cb46e14f5ebd2d29e0c1d13.jpg   IMG_2322.JPG.20d9dca73bba9566ed7c639b74fb86ca.JPG

His MIC shows that he first went to France in February 1918. The second image is from his file (WO 374/72688) at TNA. This appears to show that he went to France on 1 February 1918. Previously he was in the UK.

What does CP Southern Command mean?

574381581_1918-02Wardiary(extract).png.7c67d4c5b70193e6c6e2f9352962af3e.png

On 14 February 1918, the war diary of the 5th Dragoon Guards has the above entry. What does it say after "Attached from"? I have assumed that to mean No. 9 General Field Hospital, but I'm doubtful.

This website lists him as commemorated on the Royal Army Medical Corps Transport Memorial and suggests that he was with the 3rd (North Midland) Field Ambulance. Where does that unit fit into the picture?

Whatever, his time in France was very short, as he was killed within 2 months of his arrival.

Thanks for any assistance.

David

Edited by David Earley
typo

• Admin

Hi David

CP = Command Post would be my guess (couldn't find anything else relevant on my abbreviations go to site - but it has been wrong before!)

Attached to No 9 C F A which I would suggest was Number 9 Canadian Field Ambulance?

Regards

David

5 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

CP = Command Post would be my guess (couldn't find anything else relevant on my abbreviations go to site - but it has been wrong before!)

Attached to No 9 C F A which I would suggest was Number 9 Canadian Field Ambulance?

CP - could also be Central Pool, (i.e. a General Reserve).

9 Canadian Field Ambulance War Diaries are online at the Canadian National Archive

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/ourl/res.php?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&url_tim=2019-06-29T15%3A48%3A03Z&url_ctx_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Actx&rft_dat=2005074&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Fcollectionscanada.gc.ca%3Apam&lang=eng

It's a bit of a trawl - can't see an option anymore to see all images - so haven't checked to see if he is mentioned and if so, where he arrived from.

Cheers,

Peter

On closer inspection of the document from  TNA , which appears to be an accounting document, could CP refer to the Command Paymaster?

David

Edited by David Earley

I'd say David has it.  The column is headed "For the use of Agents and Paymasters" and one of the entries has "CP Southern Command" which puts it beyond doubt I submit.  (Coupled with the fact that one of the signatures is of an officer who clearly titles himself Command Paymaster!).

Max

5 DG were in the 1st Cavalry Division so the place to look is at 9 Cavalry Field Ambulance where his detachment from 9 CFA to 5 DG is recorded on the same date.

His arrival to 9 CFA from the base at Le Havre on 12 Feb 1918 is also recorded.  

Max

Wrong reference to the memorial deleted

Edited by MaxD

• Admin
6 minutes ago, MaxD said:

5 DG were in the 1st Cavalry Division so the place to look is at 9 Cavalry Field Ambulance where his detachment from 9 CFA to 5 DG is recorded on the same date.

His arrival to 9 CFA from the base at Le Havre on 12 Feb 1918 is also recorded.  

On the memorial site quoted above I don't see any mention against his name of a North Midland FA.

Max

Thanks Max,

Sorry to David E for the Canadian red herring!

David

My reference to no mention of North Midland FA was incorrect, deleted from the original post - still looking

Max

There Is something not quite right about the titles used on the memorial site which leads me to suspect some of the detail.

Both the 46th (North Midland) and the 59th (2nd North Midland) Divisions had three Field Ambulances (FA),, respectively 1st, 2nd and 3rd (North Midland)FA and 2/1st, 2/2nd and 2/3rd (North Midland) FA.

The heading says it was erected by members of the 3rd North Midland Ambulances (plural so presumably 3rd and 2/3rd).  Apart from 3rd and 2/3rd, the list includes:

Att Sherwood Foresters

Att 1/5 Leics

our man

and a few shown only as RAMC.

I am not sure of the title RAMC Transport in the heading which I suggest should be RAMC Territorial.

My nit-picking is in no way to belittle the efforts of those who erected the memorial but simply to suggest that mistakes were made in local memorials and that Webb may have had nothing to do with any of the North Midland FAs.  The many records for him on Ancestry and his LG entries show no connection with the Midlands.

.Doesn't really matter in the great scheme of things.  Poor chap didn't last long and sadly 5 DG didn't record how/where  he was wounded.

Max.

Thanks Max for all of this. It is very helpful.

David