Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of Jutland Animation

Skipman

Looks to me like almost complete fantasy. Just for one example, how could the HSF try to cut off Beatty from Jellico(e), when they didn't even know he was at sea? The ship movements shown bear hardly any resemblance to the accepted trackcharts - hardly know where to start, really...

Thanks MikB I am no expert on the Battle of Jutland so wasn't aware it was quite so bad. Are the documents/timeline etc equally innacurate?

Mike

The documents are open to question.  

Thanks Hyacinth. It looks like it was made before 1936, so I suppose accurate information was scarce. You wonder why they would bother if it's that inaccurate. If those of you 'in the know' think it is so bad, I am happy to delete it, or if you think there's any merit in it, am happy to leave up?

Mike

13 hours ago, Skipman said:

Thanks MikB I am no expert on the Battle of Jutland so wasn't aware it was quite so bad. Are the documents/timeline etc equally innacurate?

Mike

Many of the document details aren't timed and they're mostly vague and to some extent self-contradictory. Example: 'Beatty followed by Queen Elizabeths' vs 'Beatty followed by Queen Elizabeth' at different points in the documents. He was indeed followed by 4 ships of the QE class (5th Battle Squadron), but the QE itself was not present. Although the documents give a little information that's coarsely accurate, there's plenty that isn't (eg. 'casualties roughly equal'), and it looks to me that the incomplete and undetailed description in the documents was developed by speculation into a very deeply flawed animation.

No, you shouldn't remove it, merely regard it as a document of its time.  A few years ago an American company called Stormeagle produced what was claimed to be factually accurate PC game all based on Jutland.  Graphics, the lot, were most impressive. Production values were excellent. Thing was, no matter how you set the thing up or tweaked it, the result was that the KDM always won.  Funny that.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

7 minutes ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

No, you shouldn't remove it, merely regard it as a document of its time. 

Agreed. Do you happen to know of an accurate animation of the battle. I would find such very useful.

Mike

44 minutes ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

No, you shouldn't remove it, merely regard it as a document of its time.  A few years ago an American company called Stormeagle produced what was claimed to be factually accurate PC game all based on Jutland.  Graphics, the lot, were most impressive. Production values were excellent. Thing was, no matter how you set the thing up or tweaked it, the result was that the KDM always won.  Funny that.

I'd guess the clue might be in the subtext associated with company name... :innocent:

But I'd guess if there's any dishonesty about the American National Archive's animation, it's to do with extending their speculation way beyond their valid information, and not making that clear.

Edited by MikB

43 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Agreed. Do you happen to know of an accurate animation of the battle. I would find such very useful.

Mike

Can't think of one, but Wikipedia's diagrams work as a good summary. It was a fairly complex battle, sometimes with multiple important actions (not all of them in combat between enemy ships) happening simultaneously. I think even a good animation might be a need a bit of study to get one's head round it.

Looks OK on a quick viewing - is the voiceover by Jellicoe's grandson?

I wasn't aware of - or had forgotten - the circle that Scheer and/or Hipper were shown as steaming on the run north, and I think one of Scheer's possible escape routes was shown incorrectly, because it involved a minefield passage whose seaward entrance was not marked, so he'd have to have gone further west.