Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Art

Guest Paul_Brooker

Guest Paul_Brooker

Hello everyone, making my first post. The reason that I was inspired to visit the site, was because I have just been passed down a piece of shell art, in the shape of a soldiers cap, that was made by my great uncle pte Sid Smith, of Norwich, Norfolk.

A loose cap badge of the Royal Norfolk Regiment came with the piece, and I was told that it was originally on a leather band on the front of the 'hat'. I can see the mark of a band on the piece, but it has unfortunately not survived.

Anyway, I have uploaded some photos at:

shell art one

shell art two

shell art three

shell art four

Any information, shell or badge identification most welcome, thanks

Paul

Paul,

Welcome to the Forum.

From a trench art point of view this cap, simply made from an 18 pounder shell case, simple bit of 'wrigglework' decoration and missing the cap band (these were often made of copper, rather than leather, and the absence of the leather on your piece tells you why, I guess !) is fairly bog standard.....

....until you turn it round !!! Having your great uncle's name etched onto it sets this apart, makes it unique and a great inheritance. Named pieces of trench art are pretty rare - partly because much of it was for, rather than by, the recipient (sold to Tommy or post war pilgrims) and also because empty shell cases remained the property of the War Department - etching your name on a piece of stolen munitions was not too wise !!!

Hope you will treasure this object (and don't polish it or your g. uncle's name will eventually disappear !!)

All the best

Jim