Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

martin75

ss Friederike

martin75

Hi everyone,

I am looking for infos on this british transport (Friederike 3574 GRT / 1905) trapped in the Black Sea in 1914 and heavily damaged on 29 th october 1914 at Novorossisk by german (turkish) cruiser Breslau (Midilli) : cargo, damages sustained, duration of repairs, ...

All information is welcome

Thanks for your help

Claude

Joe R

Hi Claude,

This site will help you. tynebuiltships.co.uk/F-Ships/friederike1905.html

Respectfully,

Joe R

martin75

Thanks for the site, very useful.

If someone knows the exact name of the captain in 1914, I am interested. From russian texts, it seems to be something like O. Pignay but I am not sure of the translation.

Regards

Claude

seaJane

I can transliterate Russian - if you load a readable image I'll see what I can do.

Ralph Currell

Lloyd's Register (both the 1914-15 and 1915-16 editions) gives the master's name as J.R. Rae.

Regards,

Ralph

martin75

Hello seaJane,

thanks for the proposition. I accept with gratitude. In the text, this is the part concerning the cargo Friederike :

У пристани Русского Общества Пароходства и Торговли сгорел посаженный своим капитаном на грунт пароход «Чатырдаг», груз которого состоял из муки в трюмах и бочек с маслом и дегтем на палубе. Команда ошвартованного к 1-й пристани Владикавказской железной дороги английского парохода «Фредерик», принявшая начало бомбардировки за салют, высыпала на палубу. Только когда в надстройку начали попадать осколки, капитан судна О. Пигвнай дал приказ экипажу сойти на берег. «Фредерик» пострадал от пожара и получил дифферент на нос, начался пожар и в носовой части русского транспортного судна «Петр Регир», стоявшего у 2-й пристани. Больше досталось находившемуся у 5-й пристани пароходу РОПиТ «Николай» (1085 брт), который «выгорел… и лег боком на грунт».

Thanks also to Ralph. There is no ressemblance between the two names ; it is more than possible that my translation is wrong.

Regards

Claude

seaJane

I'm just about to go away for the rest of the weekend so will get back to you later 

sJ

Kath

Martin, have you seen the newspaper reports?

martin75

I searched in London Times;

martin75

I find nothing in London Times.

sorry, but I can not access the article because I am not a member of "findmypast"

Kath

It's a long article.

Can you get to a library that has access to FMPast?

Here's a report that appeared in the papers;

image.png.828d77cf38f60a30beaf6e942d2d0cdc.png

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 05 November 1914

martin75

I fear that is hardly possible in France. In any case, many thanks for the report.

Claude