Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify a Highland regiment

Alan Gillies

Can anyone identify the regiment from this photo? Quality of the original is not great, so apologies for the blurring. Any help or suggestions gratefully received. I'm trying to find out who he is (found in a relative's house) and knowing the regiment may just help.

1286185218_PhotounknownfromMacintoshhouse.jpg.2727ddb12a8244115458a18cb41647be.jpg

A closer look at that cap badge would be welcomed Alan, in the meantime I’ll go for the Argyll’s 

Jon

Alan,   Follow what jay dubaya asks.  Try to get a clearer if smaller shot of the Glengarry badge.  Can you also post all the printing at the bottom ?  Is anything written on the reverse ?  Do you know his name ?  Any of those will help.

bif

Three rows of white dicing on the glengarry cap and the shape of the cap badge suggests Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders to me too.  Other units generally had just two rows of white dicing.

04F4381B-7A0E-41CD-AC6F-6CADC826CD27.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'm with you there FROGSMILE, A&SH

Chris

10 hours ago, Dragoon said:

I'm with you there FROGSMILE, A&SH

Chris

Interesting that he’s wearing drab, or maybe blue hose, it’s not clear which.  Looking at other photos of A&SH one sees some in their typical diced hose and some in drab, with no clear rationale.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Interesting that he’s wearing drab, or maybe blue hose, it’s not clear which.  Looking at other photos of A&SH one sees some in their typical diced hose and some in drab, with no clear rationale.

They seem to be more blue to me rather than drab, maybe it's just me

Chris

19 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Any chance K.O.S.B.?

Mike

KOSB? None whatsoever.

Not with that glengarry.......and he's wearing a kilt.

5th Seaforths might have been a consideration but the cap badge is too big.

As Forgsmile says.....Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

29 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Glad to  help rule that out then :P

Mike

.....unless he had the 'second sight', had been invited  to a fancy dress party and decided to go as Mad Mitch, 50 years too early........:D

2 hours ago, Skipman said:

Any chance K.O.S.B.?

Mike

The three rather than two rows of white dicing on the glengarry cap are always a ready identifier of the A&SH if you compare.

4 hours ago, Dragoon said:

They seem to be more blue to me rather than drab, maybe it's just me

Chris

Quite possibly, I cannot recall if they were dark blue, or just a dark drab.  There will be a thread somewhere confirming it, probably from the late Mr Joe Sweeney.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks all. I agree it looks to be the A&S Highlanders. In answer to a couple of questions - the original itself is blurry, but I attach a bigger image of the badge (I don't think it's any clearer though, sorry). The writing at the bottom is pretty much rubbed off and there's no more writing than you can see in the photo - nothing on the back. I'm pretty sure it says 'The Royal Studio, Leith Street, Edinburgh' (see http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_PC_0/0_post_card_portraits_-_the_royal_studios_two_girls_1024.htm  for another example of a photo from the studio). 

I don't know the soldiers name - the photo was found in a house in Applecross, Ross-shire. It belonged to a MacIntosh family but the three brothers were in their 40s by 1914 and they had no children. Presumably it's a relative.

IMG_20190625_0002.jpg

There is no doubt from the glengarry alone that he was a soldier of the A&SH.  The belt he wears is from the 1903 leather bandolier (aka ‘mounted infantry’) equipment.  Although transport section men of most infantry battalions were equipped with that pattern in place of 1908 web belts, entire TF Battalions were equipped with it at the beginning of the war if they had not yet received the 08 pattern equipment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Joe reckoned the drab hose-tops were introduced in January 1915, while Chris Pollendine asserts in Campaign 1914 "in the last months of 1914".

The two left hand pairs of hose-tops - A&SH and drab - illustrated in C14 were mine, as were the three kilts, until disposed of relatively recently.

Cheers,

GT.

Pages from Campaign 1914 CP_Page_2.jpg

Pages from Campaign 1914 CP_Page_1.jpg

Thanks, GT, great to jog the old memory banks.