Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a unit designation

Ralph J. Whitehead

Hello all, I am looking at a battalion war diary for 1916 as part of an old article I was working on. I remember thinking back then that I had no idea why one unit was coming up with different letter designations. The unit in question is the 1/4K.O.Y.L.I.

The diary shows a designation as "4th (H) Y & L Regt.". What does the (H) stand for?

Along the same lines they use a designation for the companies as "W", "X", "Y" and "Z". I always thought the basic company designation was A through D. Has anyone seen this before or can anyone offer an explanation?

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph,

as Chris would say 'Its all here'. If you look at the Y&L page on Chris's website, the unit is the 4th (Hallamshire) Battalion, Y&L. I'm sure somebody will be able to explain the origins of 'Hallamshire'.

Jock

Ralph,

Prior to the reorganisation of the volunteers into the Territorial Force in 1908, the 4th (Hallamshire) Battalion, the York and Lancaster Regiment TF was the Yorkshire West Riding (Hallamshire) Rifle volunteer Corps. Hallamshire derives its name from the Saxon manor of Hallam in Sheffield in South Yorkshire.

Ronnie.

Hi Ralph

The 2nd King's Shropshire Light Infantry, changed their company letters to W, X, Y, & Z from the normal A, B, C, & D because according to the Regimental History, one night not long after arriving in France/Flanders, the Battalion got strung out in the pitch darkness, & because French guns were forcing their way along same road. The noise of their wheels on the pave was deafening and it was impossible, when trying to get the companies together, to distinguish whether a man belonged to B, C or D Companies. For this reason the Colonel altered the distinguishing letters of the companies, so it looks like it was up to the Battalion C.O. what letter was used for his companies.

Annette

Thank you all for the information, I appreciate the details as it makes sense when reading the diary. I must admit that depsite reading about the war for years the British unit designations still baffle me at times.

Ralph

Along the same lines they use a designation for the companies as "W", "X", "Y" and "Z". I always thought the basic company designation was A through D. Has anyone seen this before or can anyone offer an explanation?

Another unit that springs to mind for it's use of "W,X" companies,etc. is the 11/East Lancs.

On March 1st 1915, whilst still stationed in Wales, companies "A, B,C ,D, and E" became "W, X, Y, Z, and R". This followed the appointment of Major (temporary Lt.Col.)A.W.Rickman (Northumberland Fus.) as Battalion commander.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

I am new to this, but I understand that the Northumberland Fusilers always designated their companies W,X,Y,Z. That might explain the change in designation described for 11 E Lancs above. Perhaps the Hallamshire Bn of the KOYLI also enjoyed an NF Commanding Officer?

PeterD

Many battalions changed their companies from A B C & D to

W X Y & Z. As I stated in another thread the 1st Northumberland Fusiliers

changed theirs on 4th September 1914. I would be very surprised if this

was done at the whim of the CO, why would they all choose the same four

letters of the alphabet. I think there must be a WD instruction for this change. I used to think it applied to fusilier regiments but obviously not, I read about this many years ago, although it may have to to do with re-naming companies during WW2.

Geoff