Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

propaganda picture ?

Winkle12

Please forgive me if i've posted in the wrong section.

My granddad brought this picture back from WWI.

He served with the lovat scouts (H squadron) in Gallipoli and then the Royal engineers in in France. 

The image is a photograph and not a postcard. Does anyone know the location or have any information on it ?

thx

img014_resized.jpg

They are Turkish (with a possible German), the hanged men seem to be wearing uniforms, so perhaps they are deserters or have done some sort of captial punishment worthy offence. 

Thank you.

I'm relieved to learn my granddad is not staring back at me. do you think this is this the kind of photograph that would have been used for propaganda or something he may have picked up from a dead turk or prisoner?

Edited by Winkle12

I think this was picked up from a turk.

• 1 month later...

Just found another reference on Wikimedia Commons, the resolution is quite bad, though:

Capture: Armenians being hanged during the Armenian Genocide by German and Turkish guards

Link: http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009933065

The picture is taken from a book that was first published in Armenian in 1919. In 2013, a British version was published: T'ovmas G Mkrtich'ean. The Diyarbekir massacres and Kurdish atrocities. London: Gomidas Institute, 2013.

Edited by Jaeger6
more nformation added

• 1 year later...

Thank you.

it is amazing to me that both the picture my father has and the one posted online have almost identical folds. maybe they are propaganda pictures and were distributed to the Turks.