Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please can anybody identify this cap badge/uniform?

Siobhan Palmer

I am trying to work out which member of my family this could be.  It was in a bundle of pre-1930 photos, so I am assuming it is from WW1.  I believe it is army as that was where I understand they all served, but the badge does look like it could be interpreted as an anchor.  The family were also musical, so there is a chance that it might have some link to thank.

Many thanks for your help...I hope I have posted this right!

Cap Badge.jpg

I think he’s probably a member of the “Coastal and Marine Service” in the period of the Irish Free State in the early 1920s.

The badge looks like an oblique anchor inside a laurel wreath with crossed swords (?) beneath.  If so it is extremely rare as that Service was short-lived.  The uniform is definitely a maritime one.  I can only suggest that you enquire with any Irish maritime museum that exists.

Edited by FROGSMILE

20 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

Looks like Merchant Navy

I agree that this is more likely to be a merchant shipping company. The crossed swords are actually the lower part of the branches crossed, to show this I have attached a photo of a Nelson Line cap badge. The button is also a generic shipping type.

ARABIS.

nelson.jpg

Interesting, I can see now what you mean about the crossed branches at the bottom.  Merchant Navy seems most likely then. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you all very much for your responses.  We did have family in the Merchant Navy - they served on ships belonging to Evan Thomas, Radcliffe whose flag was an oblique anchor, so it seems possible that this is an Evan Thomas, Radcliffe uniform, but I can't find anything to verify it online.  However, this is definitely not the member of my family who I know was in the Merchant Marine, so I am wondering if it is perhaps a member of his crew.

Again, thank you so much for your replies - very helpful. 

The oblique anchor crossbar  for Evan Thomas, Radcliffe cap badge was made up with the letters T and R. On the post 1 photo you can see something other than a straight crossbar.

Found it:  https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Category:Defunct_shipping_companies_of_the_United_Kingdom

2FB0DBCD-9C56-45CD-A517-DABA21C628EF.jpeg

Apparently they were a Cardiff based company: “At the outbreak of war in 1914, Messrs. Evan Thomas, Radcliffe were the largest of the Cardiff shipowners owning a fleet of 28 vessels. During the First World War the company was to suffer considerable losses, a total of 20 ships being sunk.”

Edited by FROGSMILE