Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hat Badge Identification Please

Guest Greg Nehring

Guest Greg Nehring

I was hoping someone could help me identify this hat badge. It has the motto ERIMUS with the city name MIDDLESBROUGH in a banner underneath it. It has a lovely fire-gilt finish and is a heavy die-struck construction. The back is marked J.R.Gaunt London. I tried a Google search and got the Middlebrough Football Club so having exhausted my minimal computer skills I hope someone in the forum can help me out. I have attached a scan - I hope it works.

Cheers,

Greg :blink:

post-23-1107187905.jpg

Greg,

I live close to Middlesbrough and Erimus is the town's motto and that is the crest of the town.

However what the badge signifies I can't say.

Fire Brigade perhaps?

Bob.

It has the look of a ACF/OTC Cadet Badge,are there any Local Schools that would have had or have an OTC Unit,it doesn't look WW1 Vintage,more likely much later.

Failing that a Local Authority Uniformed Officials Badge of some description..........?

Possibly the Latin Should Read "PRIMUS" ~ "First" rather than "Erimus",& is poorly Struck?

In December of 1914 a local Voluntary Force was formed in Middlesbrough and existed through until the end of hostilities.

My local history however gives no details of uniform or badge.

Bob.

In December of 1914 a local Voluntary Force was formed in Middlesbrough and existed through until the end of hostilities.

My local history however gives no details of uniform or badge.

Bob.

Bob

Some two or three weeks ago there was another thread in which someone was trying to identify the badge being worn by a relative.

It was decided that this man was probably in the Voluntary Training Corps, and someone was able to identify the badge with the aid of "K&K, Vol 1".

So, if anyone has Volume 1 of Kipling and King, did Middlesborough Voluntary Training Corps wear a cap badge depicting the towns coat-of-arms?

I checked K&K, Vol 1....zilch!

DrB

:(

Greg

Just a thought. Could it be possible that you have a cap badge worn by the now defunct Middlesborough Borough Silver Prize Band which was formed in 1901 as the Middlesborough Trades Band?

Dave

Guest Greg Nehring

HI Dave and everyone else. First of all thanks for looking and helping out. I live in the frozen north aka Canada (ok, it's not snowing but raining) so I can't offer any history re this badge. I traded for it from another colector who purchased it locally at the Sunday swap meet. What ever it is, it has been worn as the lugs are slightly bent as is the top coronet bent forward to accomadate (sp)n the front of a hat.

I'm going to show the scan around the local collectors but I'm sure the best chance of identifying this badge resides with collectors in the UK.

Thanks again, :rolleyes:

Greg

Try & Contact the Military Historical Society, I am not sure if they still survive{its been 15 Years since I have had any contact with any of them},but they could well help,or even Kipling or King if you contact them via the Publishers,it could well be a VTC Badge not recorded previously,as K & K only give a Selection.

Try & Contact the Military Historical Society, I am not sure if they still survive{its been 15 Years since I have had any contact with any of them},but they could well help,or even Kipling or King if you contact them via the Publishers,it could well be a VTC Badge not recorded previously,as K & K only give a Selection.

The Military Historical Society still exists. I have been a member since the 1970s. If you need contact details just email me.

Getting back to this unknown Middlesborough cap badge. Is it possible that, if it turns out not to have been worn by the WW1 VTC, it was worn by employees of the Municipality?

I have picked up a number of white metal collar badges with the coat of arms of Portsmouth on them. I assume that a similar cap badge was worn?

Anyway, luckily my Portsmouth collar dogs came with some white metal buttons which also have the town coat of arms in the centre. They were made by "Firmin" of "London".

Written around the edge of these buttons is: "City of Portsmouth Passenger Transport".

So, it could be that the badge in question was worn by Middlesborough Bus Drivers :lol:

Seem to remember as a lad that the Middlesbrough Corporation buses did carry the towns crest with Erimus underneath.

Wonder if it is a bus drivers from the town?

Bob.