Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Churchill's signature on MiD

Alan24

A work colleague has told me that he has a relative's MiD certificate signed by Winston Churchill. 

I'm wondering what office Churchill would have held during the war which resulted in him signing these certificates. 

The only other relevant information is the man's name is Walter Witt and he may have served in the Wiltshire Yeomanry which was under administration of the Corps of Hussars. 

I believe there was a cavalry link with Churchill in the Boer War which may or may not have any relevance. 

Regards 

Alan  

7 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

I'm wondering what office Churchill would have held during the war which resulted in him signing these certificates.

Obviously further details would help, including the date

WSC was First Lord of the Admiralty up to mid-1915

& Secretary of State for War from Jan 1919 to Feb 1921

321608 Walter G Witt served with the Royal Wilts Yeomanry Mar 1914 to Feb 1919, no MiD found though.  Interesting to see the certificarte.  This man has a Silver War Badge which has a certificate.

Max

Thanks Terry & Michael

I'm sure that's going to be what my friend has. 

It's clear from the photo that it is Churchill in his capacity as Secretary of State for War, sometime after Jan 1919 as noted by Michaeldr - which answers the original question nicely. 

Thanks also Max,

I haven't yet seen the actual document but been promised a look. I'm  keen to find which unit he was in.

He lived in Southampton and was "good with horses". 

The only MIC which seemed to fit was one for a man who served in the Hants TF then Corps of Hussars with that 321xxx number. 

If he was a TF Man, then 5th or 9th Hants would have been possible in his location.

When I get more info I'll let you know what I find.

Regards

Alan 

That's the one I was looking at.  Medal roll says 7th Hants prior to Wilts Yeomanry and SWB roll has joined 18 Mar 1914. 

India first then Wilts Yeo??  Useful to know whether family have any family tales.

Max

16 hours ago, MaxD said:

That's the one I was looking at.  Medal roll says 7th Hants prior to Wilts Yeomanry and SWB roll has joined 18 Mar 1914. 

India first then Wilts Yeo??  Useful to know whether family have any family tales.

Max

Thanks Max

That's interesting.

I looked at the mic but not the roll.

The 7th were from New Forest & Bournemouth so still could fit. Although he lived in Southampton he was born in Beaulieu. I've done the biog on the man, just need to make a positive connection to one of the military records.

I will chase my friend again this week and I'm sure when I see the certificate all will be revealed. 

Regards

Alan 

The cert will hopefully say which despatch which would help towards finding more on it - the LG entry so far eludes me but I have seen mention that before that they didn't always get in the LG.  Looking forward to more info when you have it.

Max

On 23/06/2019 at 09:44, MaxD said:

The cert will hopefully say which despatch which would help towards finding more on it - the LG entry so far eludes me but I have seen mention that before that they didn't always get in the LG.  Looking forward to more info when you have it.

Max

Max,

The details...

67235 Cpl. Walter Henry Witt, 113th Labour Company

later promoted Sgt.

Previously Pte. 11107 11th Battalion Middlesex Regt.

MiD by D Haig in the despatch dated 8 Nov 1918 pub. LG issue 31088 supp 4 page 15198

Any idea how to view that despatch of 8th Nov 1918?

Regards

Alan.

Need to back track!

This is not the Walter G Witt of Wilts Yeomanry identified from the earlier clues.  As the cert says, he is a 11th Battalion Middlesex man, went to France with them in June 1915.  Transferred at some time to the Labour Corps.  His Labour Corps number suggest transfer Sep-Dec 1918 (may be able to get closer later).  He is gazetted as a Labour Corps man but it is likely that his award was related to his Middlesex service.

The despatch was published in 6 supplements, the first of which is here:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31077/supplement/14921

.  The Labour Corps men were in the sixth supplement ie a continuation of the first..

To pre-empt the next question.  There will be no citation to be found.  The war diary of 11 Middlesex may have some clue (in the period from March 1918 probably) https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352680

Max

1 hour ago, MaxD said:

Transferred at some time to the Labour Corps. 

My guess would be that he transferred to the LC in Feb 1918 when the 11/Midex were disbanded in France.

Regards

Alan 

On 25/06/2019 at 15:41, MaxD said:

.  As the cert says, he is a 11th Battalion Middlesex man, went to France with them in June 1915. 

Not quite!

I've downloaded the WD from your link - thanks - it appears from the diary that the battalion left for France on 1st June and the man in question didn't follow until 29th June if the date on his MIC is correct. 

Regards

Alan 

Probably in the draft of 60 men who arrived at the battalion on 2 July 1915.  Should have said went to France to join them.... :rolleyes:

Max

Edited by MaxD