Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American National Archives Catalogue

Skipman

Have been looking at the American National Archives Catalogue. Have just scratched the surface but there seems to be a huge amount of material on this site. It's not all online, but there's enough of it available to be worth a good search. The search is quirky, but I dare say when you get the hang of it, it is good enough. Here are a few examples.

Somme

Trench Maps

Vimy Ridge

Beaumont Hamel

Loads of stuff here, photo, footage, documents and includes 208 panoramas of Ypres (downloadable)

Ypres

Mike

Edited by Skipman

• Admin
2 hours ago, Skipman said:

Oh well, I'm not getting this to work now, just an error message. Anyone else getting this?

Mike

temp error.PNG

Mike

Following your links above then I too am getting this error.

Starting from scratch a search for Somme and ww1 in images produces just 1 result. But when I click on it it re-directs me here https://www.archives.gov/topics/wwi

David

I started off ok yesterday but ever since I've had that error message. Frustrating because it was looking very interesting.

Have you worked out the referencing? eg when I put in a search word it gives me some microfilm refs. I click on the film but there might be 80 pages. Does the search result indicate which actual page within a film is the one with my keyword ?

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

I started off ok yesterday but ever since I've had that error message. Frustrating because it was looking very interesting.

Have you worked out the referencing? eg when I put in a search word it gives me some microfilm refs. I click on the film but there might be 80 pages. Does the search result indicate which actual page within a film is the one with my keyword ?

Charlie

It is frustrating, not sure what's happening with that site now.

Re referencing. It's all a bit of a mystery. If ever get back on it, and figure it out, will post. I think it's important to select the "Available online" option, the rest I think is just an enourmous catalogue of all the stuff we can't access without physically going there.

Mike

14 minutes ago, Skipman said:

This might make sense to Glen, or you folks with tech skills

I've tried running this through Google Translate but it still doesn't make sense!

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I've tried running this through Google Translate but it still doesn't make sense!

:P

I have emailed them. Let's hope their reply makes more sense.

Mike

I asked them bout the copyright status of material and received this

Thank you for your email.  Generally, photographic and other records copied and provided by the National Archives may be published without special permission or additional fees.  The National Archives does not grant exclusive or non-exclusive publication privileges.  Copies of Federal records, as part of the public domain, are equally available to all.  A small percentage of photographs in our holdings are or may be subject to copyright restrictions.  The National Archives does not confirm the copyright status of photographs but will provide any information filed with the photograph.

If you find the image in our Catalog you can check the copyright by looking at the Use Restriction(s) in the description:

If you find a record you'd like to use, you can download it.  We have a video tutorial How to Download Records for the National Archives Catalog  If the downloaded record is not the dpi you require for your project, please contact the office listed in the Contact(s) of the description.

Proper credit lines are encouraged where appropriate. They also help inform the public about government additional resources that are available.

Examples of preferred credit lines are as follows:

National Archives photo no. 111-B-4246 (Brady Collection)

National Archives photo no. 80-G-32500

Credit National Archives (photo no. 306-NT-186000)

Courtesy National Archives, photo no. 26-G-3422

National Archives (111-SC-202199)

44 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

seems to be working this evening

Yes, a bit slow but working.

Just playing with it really. Found American Dead, State by State Click

Mike

I've been looking at some of the US Inspection Reports of PoW camps in Germany.

6 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Just playing

I misuse the phrase treasure trove a lot but this looks to me like one occasion when it is apt. Thanks matey.

Pete.