Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driver John King 84517

fsands

Hi all,

Below is the information I have been able to collate on John King, a name on the Lasswade war memorial.

Driver John King

Royal Field Artillery

No. 3 Depot transf. to (Pte. 500476) 481st Agricultural Coy. Labour Corps

Born Newbattle

DOB 16/05/1880

DOD 02/04/1918

Age 37

Died at St Leonard's School, Dunfermline

I was wondering if anyone had any information around the circumstances of his death? My intial thoughts are a crash, however I have been unable to corroborate this theory through any concrete material.

Any help of suggestions on how to find out how he died would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Fraser

I think most drivers in RFA were involved with horse transport.

Local newspapers might help with his death. Does he have a CWGC record?

Fraser,

According to his MIC he was a Gunner in the RFA (service number 84517) when he went to France with the BEF on 14 Sept 1914.  He was subsequently appointed an Acting Bombardier, before at some point transferring as a Private to the Labour Corps (with new service number 500476).

if he died at a school in Dunfermline in April 1918 while serving in an agricultural company of the Labour Corps, an accident is certainly possible.  Otherwise a medical issue may have been the cause, for example I believe the flu pandemic had started in the US at the start of that year though I'm not sure when it reached the UK.  (I've seen one source suggest it arrived on the Western Front in about April 1918).  So it might also be worth checking to see if that particular school was pressed into service as a temporary hospital?

David.

Hi Fraser,

His Soldiers' Effects record shows...

image.png.0e0b2d481c547c44cc93d94a9377774c.png

Image sourced from Ancestry.co.uk

If he were "found dead", presumably there would have been an inquest - held in Dunfermline?? Have you already looked in newspapers covering there, as well as the Lasswade ones? The Effects record also names a sole legatee (his wife), so it sounds like he left a will which might have a covering/associated document and give a cause. Then there should be a death certificate issued by the civilian authorities. I'm not familiar though with the records on Scotlands People, nor their pricing structure.

Regards

Chris 

Hi David and Chris,

Thank you so much for the information that you've been able to find!

I've tried searching through newspapers but not come across anything. I have read that injured soldiers sometimes joined the agricultural corps which could explain the transfer.

I'm afraid the records are pay to view unfortunately which is why my searches keep stopping short.

Thank you so much for your help!

Fraser

Fraser

You need to do some more checking. He is shown as a gunner not a driver

Where is he shown in an Agricultural Labour Corps 

Found dead does not really sound like a crash. 

Had a good look around BNA and annot find anything. Not sure what the process is in Scotalnd but ordering the Death certificate would be the obvious next step. Cost £6 in England and Wales. 

Whilst this does not answer your question but have you picked up that he was ex-RHA. If I have the corrrect man. Appear in 1891 census with Newbattle as place of birth.  Enlisted July 1898 as 19y and 1m old. So declaring 1 year older than was. 28592. Nok Mother Georgina (Candle Row Lasswade) and sister Nellie (assume younger sister Helen). He deserted for about 18 months (Mar 1899-Sep/Oct 1900). Went to S Africa with O Battery, RHA June 1901-Nov 1902. Went AWOL and got imprisoned for drunkeness whilst there. Boer War medals - Queens with Orange Free State, Cape Colony and Transvaal clasps, Kings with 1901 and 1902 clasps. Then to India 1902-10 with O Battery. Oct 1910-Sep 1911 Home with H Battery. He appears in 1911 with H Battery at Woolwich, place of birth given as Dalkeith. He is discharged for misconduct in Sep 1911 - although papers on FMP do not say what. Looks as if he forfeited his Boer War medals as a result.

edit

On 1898 enlistment he gives his profession as "Carter(Groom)"

Edited by Mark1959

On 21/06/2019 at 18:24, Mark1959 said:

Found dead does not really sound like a crash. 

Had a good look around BNA and annot find anything. Not sure what the process is in Scotalnd but ordering the Death certificate would be the obvious next step. Cost £6 in England and Wales. 

Whilst this does not answer your question but have you picked up that he was ex-RHA. If I have the corrrect man. Appear in 1891 census with Newbattle as place of birth.  Enlisted July 1898 as 19y and 1m old. So declaring 1 year older than was. 28592. Nok Mother Georgina (Candle Row Lasswade) and sister Nellie (assume younger sister Helen). He deserted for about 18 months (Mar 1899-Sep/Oct 1900). Went to S Africa with O Battery, RHA June 1901-Nov 1902. Went AWOL and got imprisoned for drunkeness whilst there. Boer War medals - Queens with Orange Free State, Cape Colony and Transvaal clasps, Kings with 1901 and 1902 clasps. Then to India 1902-10 with O Battery. Oct 1910-Sep 1911 Home with H Battery. He appears in 1911 with H Battery at Woolwich, place of birth given as Dalkeith. He is discharged for misconduct in Sep 1911 - although papers on FMP do not say what. Looks as if he forfeited his Boer War medals as a result.

edit

On 1898 enlistment he gives his profession as "Carter(Groom)"

That's amazing information! Thank you!

Fuels my curiosity about what happened to him even more!

Thank you again!

Fraser

On 21/06/2019 at 18:13, johnboy said:

Fraser

You need to do some more checking. He is shown as a gunner not a driver

Where is he shown in an Agricultural Labour Corps 

Johnboy

Cwgc lists him as a driver. It also states that he transferred to Agricultural company. Labour corps.

Thank you,

Fraser