Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Lynn VC

Mark Hone

Does anyone know the exact circumstances behind the Special Memorial (if such it be!)to John Lynn VC, 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers, at Grootebeek Cemetery? He was originally buried in Vlamertinghe Churchyard but , as the headstone says 'the grave was destroyed in later fighting'. I have always assumed that this meant his grave was lost and the headstone was in fact a Special Memorial, although as far as I know, a unique one. It is described as such in several books (eg Scott 'The Ypres Salient' ) However other sources, including the official CWGC publication 'Recipients of the Victoria Cross' are more ambiguous and carry the implication that he is actually buried there having been reinterred from Vlamertinghe. Can anyone resolve this conundrum?

Mark

You probably know this already but just in case; The wooden cross that was over John Lynn's grave in Vlamertinghe Cemetery is in Bury Parish Church.

I don't know exactly the words that are inscribed on the bottom of his headstone will visit the grave possibly this week. It is considered by CWGC as a Special Memorial on which are inscribed the words "To the Memory of'. I haven't seen another one like this in the Salient. Any Pals have an idea if this inscription is indeed an unique one?.

Jacky

Guest Hill 60

I haven't got a scan of the grave but the wording goes like this (wording in brackets indicate an emblem/badge):

To the Memory of

(regimental badge)

1272 Private

J. Lynn VC..DCM

Lancashire Fusiliers

2nd May 1915

(VC)

Who was buried at the time

In Vlamertinghe Churchyard

But whose grave

Was destroyed

In later battles

Unfortunatly the next part is obscured by plants and I can't read it all.

Thanks for the info so far. I photographed the wooden grave marker in Bury Parish Church for Hilary Wheeler who is doing an inventory of surviving examples for the WFA. I have since discovered that it used to have clumps of the original soil on the base until removed by an over-zealous cleaner some years ago. The survival of the marker when the original grave was lost is another small mystery. I also discovered that the Verger, who is compiling a new guide to the church, has been under the mistaken impression for years that Vlamertinghe was at Gallipoli! She has asked me to produce some material on John Lynn for the new guidebook which is the main reason for the original posting.

Mark

Is it too obvious to ask if the Verger has checked the Parish Council Meeting Minutes of the time to see if there is any mention of the cross being presented to the church ?

Looking again at Lynn's CWGC database entry, while the personal details do not make it clear, the cemetery description at the bottom states categorically that Lynn's grave was destroyed and that this is a Special Memorial. I'd still be interested to learn the exact circumstances behind this apparently unique commemoration.

Purely by coincidence I was walking yesterday on Wytschaete Military Cemetery when I saw a Special Memorial to nine British men buried in other cemeteries concentrated in this cemetery and whose graves were destroyed and had been lost. The headstone also had the inscription: To the Memory of.

I suspect this was the normal procedure for such cases. I will certainly look around on other cem's during the next weeks to possibly confirm this. However I think some answers can already been found in Michael Scott's book:'The Ypres Salient'. It give the number of Special Memorials in each cemetery and I am rather sure that every time the above mention about men being buried in other cemeteries and whose graves were lost,is given the headstone will have that particular inscription.

Jacky