The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gazatteer of "British" names for trenches and positions?

rolt968

Has anyone ever compiled a gazetteer or glossary of "British" (or "Canadian" or "Australian") trench and position names as used in war diaries and similar documents? (Things like "Stirling Castle" and "Scotland Road". Just examples: I know there was a "Stirling Castle" but don't know about a "Scotland Road".)

RM

Rats Alley by Peter Chasseaud is the book you need.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

There is a book I believe

"Rat's Alley: Trench Names of the Western Front 1914-1918,"  the author, Dr. Peter Chasseaud.

regards

Jon

The National Archives British Trench Map Atlas DVD has an index of over 20,000 trench and topographical names and 700+ trench maps.

Also may be useful - "Gazetteer of the Western Front - Farms, Hamlets, Villages, Towns & Cities, and Prominent Features 1914-18" compiled by John Reed, and published by Naval and Military Press.   

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 14:23, HarryBrook said:

Also may be useful - "Gazetteer of the Western Front - Farms, Hamlets, Villages, Towns & Cities, and Prominent Features 1914-18" compiled by John Reed, and published by Naval and Military Press.   

Thank you for pointing this out. My copy arrived this morning. Apart from its value as a reference book, it looks like fascinating reading.

RM