Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Francis Ledwidge Memorial Dublin

Eddie Bosano-Andrews

A new memorial plaque is being unveiled this Thursday 3/2 to commemorate Francis Ledwidge at the National War Memorial Gardens at Islandbridge in Dublin.

The organisers say that the plaque will be a memorial to all Irish soldiers who died in the war.

The plaque will feature a portrait of Ledwidge together with the words of The Irish in Gallipoli.

Unfortunately I don't have any further details than that, I don't know what time it's taking place or who's doing the unveiling.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, Francis Ledwidge was Ireland's best-known war poet.

I plan to attend the unveiling (I don't yet have the details) and will post a photo.

Hi Michael,

That's great I look forward to seeing the photos. I'm working that day so I won't be able to go.

Really good website by the way, don't know how I never saw it before.

The unveiling of this memorial is to be at 4pm on Thursday, 3rd February.

Michael

You were wise to miss it, Eddie! It was bitterly cold.

The Ledwidge memorial is inside the north-east pavilion, and about A3 size.

Here it is. You won't be able to read the text on this version, but a larger one is on www.irishwarmemorials.ie.

Michael

Oops - the photo got lost when I corrected a spelling mistake. Try again:

post-19-1107457716.jpg

Hi Michael

Hot whisky afterwards I hope :D

It looks good, I'm glad they've used a different picture for a change.

I'm going to have try and make it down next time I'm in Dublin, having said that I live a 15 minute drive from the Ledwidge Cottage Museum have I ever been ? er no shame on me :o

The Ledwidge memorial is inside the north-east pavilion, and about A3 size.

I must have been disorientated in the cold, Eddie. It is in the northwest Pavilion!

Michael

Glad to notice the renewed attention for Francis Ledwidge. At the occasion of the opening weekend of the Irish exhibitions in Zonnebeke a concert wil be organised (on the 23th) in the local church. Amongst the music played there will be very probable two poems from Ledwidge which are arranged to songs .

Erwin

If you drive through his home village of Slane, as I do everyday in my commute to work, it's very evident that they are extremely proud of him there.

A newly erected sign as you enter from the Dunlin side welcomes you to Ledwidge Country, every public bench is also marked in the same way, there is a plaque on the bridge and of course the museum, which I nearly got to today but time ran away from me.