Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Division enquiries

Sharonp

Hi All,

I recently found out a relative of mine served with the Royal Engineers Driver Walter Fisher Luff 496670 (T) 2873. But I don't know what division and possible field company he served with. I have his medal record index card and the role of individuals, which states he's a driver! And that's it, Can anyone help?

Hope you can.

Thank you as always.

Sharon.:wub:

Hi Sharon,

His 6 digit 496670 number is a 1917 TF renumber issued from the number block associated with the line units of the 2nd South Midland Field Company - i.e 1/2; 2/2; and 3/2 (see here). The 3rd line, 2nd Field Company would have remained in the UK, acting as a kind of feeder/training unit. The units were renumbered - 1/2 to 475th Field Company (serving overseas with 48 Division), and 2/2 to 478 Field Company (serving as part of 61 Division).

Regards

Chris

Edit:

Under the 1917 TF renumbering, what you tend to see is that within a unit the 6 digit numbers were issued sequentially (allowing for 'fall outs') based on previous 4 digit numbers. Walter does appear to have surviving service papers. There are some for a 2898/496675 Bryant. He joined up on 20.5.1915, so Walter probably attested a short time before then.

Edited by clk

Hi Chris. 

Thank you you for your reply to my query. You’ve helped me no end. I’m a member of ancestry so I should be able find his records. I have had a look but without success. (Girl look!). Will try again

but thank you once again. 

Always so helpful. 

Sharon. 

Hi Sharon,

Sorry, I made a typo in my post. Where I said "Walter does appear to have surviving service papers", I should have said "doesn't" I didn't see any on FMP. My apologies for having misled you.

Regards

Chris

On 21/06/2019 at 14:41, clk said:

Hi Sharon,

Sorry, I made a typo in my post. Where I said "Walter does appear to have surviving service papers", I should have said "doesn't" I didn't see any on FMP. My apologies for having misled you.

Regards

Chris

That’s ok. You’ve helped me so much.

Sharon.