Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt Alexander Orr KOYLI & RE 94 Field Unit

Glengarry1950

Gentlemen,

I am trying to locate the MIC for the above officer without success, using Ancestry, I have managed to locate him on the KOYLI Officers Medal roll, for the WW1 War and Victory medal issue page 148, I manged this through a friend of his who was killed the day after he was transferred to the Royal Engineers, he was 2nd Lt Abraham Slowe KOYLI.

I have also tried Forces War Records without success for WW1, although I have located him on the Afghanistan 1878-80 Medal Roll Medal no clasp Sgt Alexander Orr 2nd Seaforth Highlanders.

I do not have access to Find my Past.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Yours Aye

Hiram

While the MiC as described in the Discovery catalogue gives Archibalds' unit only as Royal Engineers, the card itself has KOYLI attached Royal Engineers.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4461529

There are officers records for Captain Alexander Thomson Orr, Royal Engineers, from the MiC records, (which shows him as a Lieutenant), it looks like that is a completely different person, as he has a connection with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. There are officers' records for 2nd Lieutenant Archibald Orr, Royal Engineers, in the Discovery catalogue. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1124439

Is it possible that the source that gives the first name as Alexander is wrong or a wrong connection has been made.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

IT might be worth double checking the gazette to see if either an Archibald or Alexander is associated with the regiment, the M.I.C. has a entry into theatre of March 17 (France) so could be anytime prior to that.

Dave.

Additionally, as 94th Field Company, (part of 19th (Western) Divison), were in France & Flanders, their War diary should be available on Ancestry. Have you checked that out to see if he is mentioned and if so whether a first name is shown.

Cheers,

Peter

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for you speedy reply it is very much appreciated, and Dave yes that is him with someone quite wrongly deciding his first name is Archibald rather than Alexander, however, the address Cawburn House Pumpherston, Mid-Calder  Nr Edinburgh is correct ( note also Edinburgh has the English spelling of Borough)

I can see where the Archibald may have came from there is an Archibald Orr age 18 from the same village Uphall who enlisted in KOSB and his papers still exist in the burnt papers, so some one may have confused the names, as 2Lt Alexander Orr was mostly registered as just A. Orr.

Peter, the war diaries for the 94th Field Co have not been checked as yet, but the KOYLI one's have he is not mentioned in the typed up copy of the diaries, however, he is mention in the Adjutants note on when he joining the Bn in France, but it appears all his hand written notes were not added to the typed up copy, but they are in the bottom of the box at KEW!

Once again Gentlemen thank you

Your Aye

Hiram