Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to identify uniform.

simonpg

I would appreciate help in identifying the regiment please.

Thanks

Simon

unknown soldier.jpg

Highland Light Infantry, Full Lieutenant.  Collar badge, yellow facings and Officers’ silk shoulder sash refer.  The date seems likely around the mid-1890s, as the front of the collar was squared off after 1902.  Lieutenants and Captains each gained a rank star in 1904, so that 2nd Lt then had one, a Lt now two, and a Capt now three.

92CDCDC5-26ED-414C-8090-B474AD1C70D4.jpeg

BF5C8F1F-05F3-4610-A966-ACEDA1E602F3.jpeg

58C2B970-D022-4C46-B7DD-CCDAE3BC9246.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Agree with it being HLI, but not as an Officer - I think we are looking at a SNCO  Officers wore shoulder cords with rank badges.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Agree with it being HLI, but not as an Officer - I think we are looking at a SNCO  Officers wore shoulder cords with rank badges.

Shoulder cords were not on all patterns of full-dress over the decades, Rob.  The pattern shown has the earlier, rounded corners to the collar, he has a rank star on his shoulder strap (for an OR there was a woven thread French horn and title HLI), and I think he has the much wider highland officers (after 1881 worn by all Scottish) silk shoulder sash.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Looking again I think you’re right, Rob, well spotted!  Kicking myself, because the shoulder sash is worn on the opposite shoulder unless it’s a reversed image.  Also what I thought was a rank star is perhaps the woven, French Horn title that I mentioned, but seemingly without any letters (at least I cannot see any).  The gold lace trimming his collar indicated that he is dressed as First Class Staff, such as Musketry Sergeant, or the battalion’s QMS, or Sergeant Major.  These latter chime with his fine moustache.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I totally missed the shoulder sash, but as I am ex RHF (HLI and RSF being our forebears) I was surrounded in the mess by Orlando Norrie prints  many with old HLI groups in various orders of dress!

This is a 1918 period HLI officers tunic with shoulder cords and rank, not a lot of difference from the late 1890s.

Interestingly the person in the picture has no medals from in excess of 10 years service.

K6QB9hjMZokdbAmNcay2GQ-smallw.png

Yes Rob, the bullion shoulder cords started in 1881, but before that there was just a twisted silk cord on the shoulder for the silk sash (securing it in place) and nothing on the other shoulder, and of course rank still on collars.  

Scottish frocks had plain shoulder straps, right through their existence, and if one goes back further still more variations to both, full dress and undress.  Gold bullion shoulder cords on full dress were really a key change with the 1881 changes, so you were right to look for them on an officer’s full dress doublet.

I’d love to know who the subject is, he has the look of a battalion sergeant major (later RSM) and I’m not sure if the original poster has picked up on the revised assessment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for all the comments. I don't know who the subject is. A recent dna "cousin" sent it to me hoping I might know who it was, so I thought I would at least find out the regiment in case that helped her.

1 hour ago, simonpg said:

Thanks for all the comments. I don't know who the subject is. A recent dna "cousin" sent it to me hoping I might know who it was, so I thought I would at least find out the regiment in case that helped her.

That’s interesting, Simon.  I’ve not come across a dna cousin search before, although I had read that it was all the rage amongst genealogists.  The regiment’s HQ and depot were in Glasgow if that’s of any relevance.