Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any help regarding regiment appreciated

Had always been told my grandfather Betram Hall Falconer,  born Armadale, West Lothian 24/4/1900  served with the KOSB in Ireland around 1919/20.  

Altho I have  recently discovered he was christened and was known as Bernard upto at least 1911. Name change a mystery I’m still trying to solve. First official mention of the BHF name I have found was in 1929 so now not certain what name he would have served under.

Found these photos after my grandmother died.  Family assuming of my grandfather, however I think they are of 2 different people. ( one on the left looks more like him from photos of him in his 60’s)  I know cap badge in other photo is indistinct but to me looks more like shape of a Royal Scots badge than KOSB. Unfortunately  the clearer photo doesn’t seem to have anything that would pin point a regiment but any suggestions would be appreciated 

Thank you 

1D13B8D9-FD5C-4127-995D-0246860DDBCC.jpeg

The cap badge on the right is HLI - Highland Light Infantry, and that is borne out by his shoulder titles (although I cannot quite make out which version).  The man on the left has a facial likeness and if not the same man is presumably from the same family.  He has no rank on his shoulder straps and so unless rank is on his cuffs, the wearing of a leather Sam Browne belt and shoulder brace suggests that he is a warrant officer first class (RSM), as does the closed-collar, WO pattern service dress.

52F9AA54-92C8-45D2-9E91-26F9BFCCB5CD.jpeg

F1DCFB0C-50F1-4633-BC80-67F10014E3DB.jpeg

C4BF79B7-6AA8-4E26-A1EC-B84E954FD662.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you so much, for the very quick and helpful reply.  

He had a brother and many male cousins, so obviously more digging into the family tree required. 

Information provided much appreciated