Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A/Sgt W H ROYALS TANK CORPS

Sgt Stripes

Hello. I am researching Cpl 306615 William Henry Royals Tank Corps. I have his MIC which states that he was awarded the War and Victory Medals and the medal roll that states he was serving with the 10th Battalion and puts his rank as A/Sgt . I was just wondering if anyone could help with any other information on him . Many Thanks 

He doesn’t get any mention in the War Diary.

Assuming he was born in England and Wales then the most likely birth record was that for a William Henry Royals, whose birth was registered with the Civil Authorities in the Wolstanton District of Staffordshire in the October to December quarter, (Q4), of 1891. The one before that was Q4 of 1877, also in the Wolstanton District. There are no William Henry, (or even William H) births after 1891.

The 9 year old William "Hy" Royals, born Burslem, Stafforshire, was recorded on the 1901 Census of England and Wales living at over the Grocers Shop at 285 Waterloo Road, Burslem. This was the household of his parents, Albert H, aged 24 and a Stone Mason, born Crewe, Cheshire, and Margaretta, aged 31 and a Grocer & Dealer, born Burslem. Also living with them is father Alberts' married aunt. The address was in the Wolstanton Civil Registration District.

By the time of the 1911 Census of England and Wales the family was living at 14 Hall Street, Burslem. Father Albert Henry, (44) and mother Margaret, (41), have been married 21 years and have had just the one child, William. Albert is recorded as the caretaker of a Methodist Church Hall and Margaret is assisting him. William Henry was working as a Stone Mason.

(Potentially William and or his parents could have been Methodists. The Non-conformist collection at Manchester University holds a number of local newsletters from the Great War period providing updates on the exploits of congregation members and their involvement in the conflict.)

Of course it could have been the older William Henry Royals - on the 1911 Census he was aged 33, single and an Iron Mongers Porter living with his parents at 9 Bank Street, Tunstall, Staffordshire. Tunstall was where he was born. His parents were William Henry, (aged 62) and Mary Ann, (aged 60).

So potentially Tunstall and Burslem area AVL's might confirm which man served in the Tank Corps. There may also be something in newspapers local to the Potteries.

There doesn't appear to be any other prior unit shown for him. I don't know what the practice is with the MiC's - is the Machine Gun Corps (Heavy) lumped in with the Tank Corps as the latter was formed until the 28th July 1917. I understand the 10th battalion wasn't created until January 1918.

I assume you've tried nearby service numbers to see if there are any surviving papers that might shed some light.

The 1877 born man died in the Stoke on Trent District in the October to December quarter of 1930. There are possible marriages in the Wolstanton District, (Q3, 1921, Milly Barlow) and the Stoke on Trent District, (Q3 1930, Sarah A. Blood), so marriage and childrens' birth certificate are unlikely to provide any service details.

Hope that's not too many red herrings,

Cheers,

Peter

Many Thanks Peter for this information. 

Re PRC's nearby service numbers comment in post #4 :-

My grandfather's service number was 306070, not that close to Royals' but I suspect the service records are a bit thin in the 306XXX range. He was transferred from the RE Territorial Force in January 1918 and his MIC only mentions The Tank Corps.

A WW1 service number website includes only two examples in the 306XXX range, both transfers from The Royal Engineers- see here.

David

Cheers David. Thank you for this information.