Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

35th Seige Battery Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA)

Peter D Beattie

Does anyone have any history concerning this Battery. Members of it were at Ypes Sector 1915 and later the Somme 1917. My father Thomas Leonard Beattie was posted to the Battery as an Acting Bomardier in 1913/14 and served with the BEF, gained a MM in 1916 and at the War's end then posted as an Artillery Sgt. Later served in middle East, India, UK , commissioned QM 1938, honoured with MBE 1940, Dunkirk verteran, Far East Java, captured there 1942, Japanise POW Fukuoka, retired 1953 Lt.-Col. (QM) RA (HQ) Woolwich, died 1964 at Kidbrook Blackheath. He was born 1896 in the Alverstoke parish of Gosport Hants.

Peter D Beattie

Peter: Your father had a very extensive career with the RA! If you haven't already obtained it, the war diary for 35th Siege Battery, RGA from 1 Jul 1916 to 28 Feb 1919 is available for download on The National Archives website for £3.50.

I note that your father was serving with 6th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment when he was taken POW. If you are not familiar with the books you should obtain a copy of 6th Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery by Patrick Walker which is a detailed history of that battery with a roll of all members of the regiment, and The Sparrows by Tony Paley, which details the a activities of the 79th HAA Battery, but also has quite a bit about 6th HAA in the Dutch East Indies and a POWs.  Both books are commonly available on eBay and abehbooks.

Regards. Dick Flory

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 18:36, rflory said:

Peter: Your father had a very extensive career with the RA! If you haven't already obtained it, the war diary for 35th Siege Battery, RGA from 1 Jul 1916 to 28 Feb 1919 is available for download on The National Archives website for £3.50.

I note that your father was serving with 6th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment when he was taken POW. If you are not familiar with the books you should obtain a copy of 6th Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery by Patrick Walker which is a detailed history of that battery with a roll of all members of the regiment, and The Sparrows by Tony Paley, which details the a activities of the 79th HAA Battery, but also has quite a bit about 6th HAA in the Dutch East Indies and a POWs.  Both books are commonly available on eBay and abehbooks.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the mention regarding the Sparrows, made my day. The publishing firm went bust so I never really saw how things went after that.  Nice to know that it is still around

. I did meet up with an ex 6th HAA Gunner from the Black Country, lovely chap. 

Tony P

• 4 weeks later...

Tony:  Thanks for the email.  Sorry that the publishing firm went bust.  I purchased your book right after it was published and found it very interesting and informative as I have the medals of a number of the officers mentioned in the book.

Regards, Dick F