Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

where is the best place to look up a german regt

arantxa

So lets say I want to look up german regt 137  JR137 or any where do I look to see where they fought  and what battles..is there a list

History of 251 German Divisions which participated in the War, originally produced by the American General Staff. Look under 31 Infantry Division. It may be available online somewhere, but there has been a modern reprint by London Stamp Exchange (now Naval & Military Press).

Ron

9 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

History of 251 German Divisions which participated in the War, originally produced by the American General Staff.

Online version

Histories of two hundred and fifty-one divisions of the German Army which participated in the war (1914-1918) Compiled from records of Intelligence Section of the General Staff, American Expeditionary Forces at General Headquarters, Chaumont France 1919. Published 1920 Archive.org.

Cheers

Maureen

16 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

History of 251 German Divisions which participated in the War, originally produced by the American General Staff. Look under 31 Infantry Division. It may be available online somewhere, but there has been a modern reprint by London Stamp Exchange (now Naval & Military Press).

Ron

Yet that is only information compiled by the Allies on the basis of PoWs and other intelligence. It is not a prime source and only a start for more serious research.

Jan

On 15/06/2019 at 17:01, arantxa said:

So lets say I want to look up german regt 137  JR137 or any where do I look to see where they fought  and what battles..is there a list

IR 137 belonged to 31 Infantry Division (02.08.1914-06.11.1915), to 108 Infantry Division (07.11.1915-05.09.1918) and 15 Infantry Division (06.09.1918-December 1918), with temporary attachments to several units on the Eastern Front in 1915 and 1916.

It served on the Western Front until early 1915 and was then sent to the Eastern Front (as most Alsatian units) until it returned to the West late 1917.

Hi arantxa,

if you want to really dig into it, you´ll have to combine sources. All the above help, yet there is one more (expensive) source, gathered from information of the National archive, regimental histories etc. It is a multi volume endeavor still in progress, but the ones on infantery regiments are all published in 4 vol. (I think).

It is called Handbuch der Verbände und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914-1918 by Kraus et al. 60€ per vol., roughly.

GreyC

2 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi arantxa,

if you want to really dig into it, you´ll have to combine sources. All the above help, yet there is one more (expensive) source, gathered from information of the National archive, regimental histories etc. It is a multi volume endeavor still in progress, but the ones on infantery regiments are all published in 4 vol. (I think).

It is called Handbuch der Verbände und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914-1918 by Kraus et al. 60€ per vol., roughly.

GreyC

I have all published volumes so far. It is indeed a work that should be in the library of anyone seriously studying the German army in WWI.

I don't have the regimental history of IR 137.

Jan

Hello!

Here is the publishers homepage of Grey C´s recommended books:

https://www.militaria.at/default.aspx

Infantry vol. IV is a coorperation from Dr. Kraus and a very nice, friendly, good-looking guy from this forum (from me...:innocent:)

Here you can order a lot of german regimental histories on pdf. Unfortunately 137 is not in the stock.

.https://military-books.lima-city.de/hp20/index.html

IMG_20190621_165118.jpg

Edited by The Prussian