Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KS 97 Bayonet's

Steve1871

I gave these two KS 98 bayonet's.

I know there were/ are a lot of " PARADE" KS 98 bayonet's, even a longer parade or dress version made into the Second World War .

That said, my 2 are , I believe, Actual Great War issue/ used. 

The bad part is that both were cleaned up and polished in the past. NOT CHROMED or NICKLED.

Had to delete several pic's.  These are all the pic's at the moment.

Originally had pressed leather grip's with 3 steel pins to secure them.Later, replacement grip's were of wood, with 2 screw's. I read that on the Western Front, I think? It said starting in 1914 or 1915, not sure , that Germany still produced these KS98 bayonet's for war time use, producing them new with wood grip's

My wood grip one is dated 1914

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry about typo on heading guy'sMy other one is the original Leather grip and colonial issue piece

I have alway's read that War time KS bayonet's only had steel scabbard's. Mine has the leather type. It look's real to me, but U'm not an expert. Both bayonet and scabbard have " unit" KS marked.

They are not matching, now I think the number 5 has a very slight difference in Font's. That said, being mismatch could have been from a different armorer, which could explain that away

Anyway, the bayonet's are real war time, not parade. Hope you guy's like the pic's

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey Julian, you say your doing a study on these.as alway's, feel free to use any of my pic's, from any of my post's. 

I hope you got " Spoiled Rotten"

fir your birthday! Wish you many more to come

Steve,

You certainly show some nice Bayonets here.

Do you pick these up from pawn/gun shops on your cross-country travels, or from eBay?

Anyway, keep on posting.

Regards,

JMB

I get a lot of them on line, been luck that have not been burned. Have got some from E-Bay with sellers as far away as Australia, Poland, Russia, and from 2 dealers who became friends over the years

I’ve got two KS98’s. One is CG Haenel (Barvarian with a “4” date that I’ve been told was really misstruck and made in ‘14) and a Hoerster ‘13 date. I believe both have their original wood grips and never had the leather type.  I’ve removed the grips on both and they only have two slots for screws and don’t have a third hole for the middle stud found on the leather grips. 

The Haenel was reworked at some point to add a flash guard. 

I’m in the process of gently cleaning both now. The Hoerster is in a bit worse shape with some small pits on the blade, scale on the pommel, and (until last night) a frozen latch mechanism. 

Thank's Prez1981, thank's for your responce.

It would be great if you could send a few pic's of your's for me and the rest of the forum to see and admire, also compare the marking's of both ours together, if you would not mind . 

Thank's again.  Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve and all,

Really been up to the eyeballs and more sometimes beyond that point the past month! Steve, the b/day went fine, but if you need to relinquish a kS 98, as I don't have one, then my daughter will be stateside in late August...!!!

Ok, so waddayagot there...

On 15/06/2019 at 04:04, Steve1871 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

The screws are fraktur marked so if a WW1 conversion from an older leather gripped one it is legit. Is this the 1917 one? Unit mark on the scabbard a bit confusing at first and after! Needs thinking about... F at start could be a fuhrpark for an ammunition column for howitzers (the E). But is that first one is an E for Ersatz? Brain needs food... 

Off-hand, the kS 98 originally for machine gunners only but then general purpose until superceeded by the 84/98.

Edited by trajan

Finally managed to get a few pics of my two pieces to show these were not all conversions from the earlier grips.  Haenel (with flashguard added) on top and Horster on bottom. Horster is a bit tougher, but this maker seems to be on the scarce side in my limited experience. 

97FE35BF-C2DA-4774-9F76-F30EBFE2541A.jpeg

9ADCD067-4DAF-45E2-805B-B4045BECD93D.jpeg

9AEA18C9-43D8-4825-8059-5C6A766ACE08.jpeg

F2B37527-4323-4D05-B2DA-0211600D9548.jpeg

1A35A0F1-5EF3-4977-8A0C-3BA57FCBB220.jpeg

51292105-6388-4596-BA78-4B838614DFF8.jpeg

D5D426BD-BD5F-4525-B344-195015AFA85E.jpeg

DAE32CCB-4CA4-4A1B-ACAD-451247931C67.jpeg

3B16AE09-09C4-4707-BBB8-0F050FE0898F.jpeg

5D4141F5-F317-4CE7-B028-3D3854A8184E.jpeg

Thank's Prez1981!

Your two are great.  An early one as well as war time production, and a flash guard as well. A pair to be proud of. Taking grip's off,showing matching number's with the pic's was a great idea. The blades look great, Many times finding actual issue/ war time examples, they have rust spots/ pitting, with worn , cracked grip's.

both of your's are above average.

A pair to be proud of, and well worth the wait

All I will say is.... Me, jealous? Na.... Looking at my only kS 98,Horester made, which is missing half a quillon, only one part of one grip surviving (two screw version), no unit mark or date etc. stamp (private issue), and partly ground down teeth... Honestly, I am NOT jealous!

Glad you not Jealous there Mate!

Always glad to hear your humor Julian, thanks!