Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcard of Memorial 1914-1918

GrandsonMichael

Hello One and All,

I have been wondering where this photo was taken.

It belonged to my Grandfather, Charles Frederick Gambles, Old Contemptible 2nd Bn Essex Regiment, later M.G.C.

First thought is the Essex Regiment Chapel, Warley, Brentwood, but I don't have a clue really.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

I have copied and enlarged the image to see if the names are visible. With a bit of guesswork Alfred C.King (b.St.Pancreas, e.Holloway), George N. King (b.London), Aubrey V. Cox (b.Peckham, l.Walthamstow), Stanley J. Cooper (e.Lewisham, l.Forest Hill), George Timms (b.Chelsea, e.Putney), George Briggs (b.Stepney, e. Shoreditch) and George E. Mills (b.Kentish Town, e.Stratford, l.Walthamstow). So my guess is that we are looking in London and with two living at Walthamstow I would start my search for a church there. (b = born, e = enrolled, l = lived)

Thanks Jim,

Sounds logical, certainly when I combine your info with the fact that my Grandfather got married in Walthamstow!

From your info I would conclude that it is not a regimental chapel, but a

local church.

I'm intrigued, what is your source of info on these particular men?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

1901 census has Aubrey V. Cox living at 21, Manor (?) Terrace, Wathamstow in the parish of St Michael & All Angels.

Could be that church, perhaps?

Steve

Thanks Steve & Pete,

As happens once in a while I'm confusing matters:

My Grandparents got married in the Parish Church of New Windsor, County of Berks in 1915. I haven't been able to track down this church...

But, I must add, my Grandfather was listed as residing in the Parish of Walthamstow, Essex at the time (better than Essex Farm...) and he lived in

Chingford just before WWII, just around the corner?

Don't know where they lived just after WWI though till 1923 that is.

Jim: I'm particularly interested to know where you found the e of enrolled part of your info.

Cheers,

Michael

• Admin

Hi Michael

The enlisted bit comes from Soldiers Died, originally published in book form, now on CD Rom. Gives if you are lucky, places of birth, enlistment and residence at time of enlistment.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

Thanks Michelle,

Another snippit of info added to my brain... :)

Cheers,

Michael