Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Robinson Gunner 136150 - Which unit?

I am researching a local war memorial; I have done lots of these over the years but I've come up against a problem that I haven't encountered before.

I would be grateful in any help in identifying which Division this man served with.  This what I know:

Frederick Robinson gunner 136150 died of wounds on 13th January 1917.  He is buried in Barlin Communal Cemetery Extension.

The CWGC gives - 'Y' Trench mortar battery. Royal Field Artillery

The graves register gives R.F.A. V/R-T.M.Bty 136150 Robinson Gnr. F.

His medal index card gives no extra information apart from that he was entitled to the British War and Victory medals - roll RFA/260B page 31983

The CWGC entry says that the cemetery was used by 6th Casualty Clearing Station

Can anyone tell me how I identify which Division he served with (if that is possible)?

Thank you

Welcome to the Forum Martin,

The Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 on Ancestry UK gives his unit as V/Res T.M.Bty. and death at No. 6. C.C.S.

This would be Reserve Division. The Reserve Divisional Artillery appears to have once been the Lahore Divisional Artillery which assisted the Canadians at Vimy Ridge

More detail on this thread...

.UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-192

Dear David,

Many thanks for your reply.  In all the years of researching casualties, I have never come across the Reserve Division before.  

The two men buried either side of Frederick are both Canadians.  

Am I right to assume that the Reserve Division served as an artillery reserve attached to First Army?