Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Wales Borderers buttons

cadmaster

I have recently acquired a couple of SWB uniforms - a blue patrol jacket (No 1 dress?) with trousers and a mess dress, tunic, waistcoat and trousers - they are undated but appear to be WW1 or Edwardian - the patrol jacket high collar has a single broad hook fastening, similar to a Welsh Regiment frock coat in my collection. I have a couple of queries:

The mess tunic has grey metal buttons with a wreathed dragon, identical to the brass buttons on the patrol jacket (but smaller), but the accompanying waistcoat has brass buttons with white metal wreathed 24 overlaid - does this indicate a specific period when the regiment retained its pre-1881 number? (I have a studio portrait of a Welsh Regt officer, dated 1915 with the title 'Major A.H. Hobbs, 41st Regt of Foot' - owner of the above-mentioned frock coat).

The No 1 dress trousers have a one inch red stripe, the mess dress quarter inch stripe - is this correct, or should both be the same (which?)?

Regards

M

DSC_0344a.jpg

Would it be possible to share an image of the blue patrol jacket, please? I'd be very interested to see this.

Pictures attached

DSC_0345.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

DSC_0347.JPG

The small bimetal mess dress button was used on the regimental  mess dress, which was actually at that time the shell jacket modified for wear at mess prior to 1881.  It seems likely that some of these pre-1881 buttons have been added to a later pattern (1900) mess vest (waistcoat).  The correct button was plain gilt with a Welsh dragon in silver mounted thereon.

The ‘grey’ button is the white metal button adopted by Volunteer Battalions (VBs) of the South Wales Borderers after 1881, including the Brecknockshire and Monmouthshire battalions. 

The blue patrol jacket is of the pattern introduced in 1896.  It was a mirror image of the scarlet type issued earlier.  In 1902 the scarlet pattern was discontinued and replaced by the knee length dark blue frock coat, leaving just the blue version of the patrol jacket.  Patrol jackets were not at first worn with collar badges but these were added by most (but not all) regiments after 1902 and then rubber stamped in the dress regulations issued in 1904.

The blue uniform that was subsequently given the nomenclature of No1 Dress was a ceremonial uniform hastily introduced as suitable wear by troops from outside the Sovereign’s ‘Household Division’ for the Coronation of Queen Elisabeth II in 1953.  Its simple and elegant design was inspired by the blue patrol uniform first issued in 1896, and also for the Coronation of her father, King George VI.  It was not the exact same pattern, but the differences were minor.

Edited by FROGSMILE